Tuesday, June 23, 2009

23 going on 24 months weeks (it just feels like months!)

Dear Sticky Bun,
Well, you and I are embarking into a new part of our journey. Well, this WHOLE journey is new for us both, isn't it? The weather is finally changing and it is now summer. I admit, little one, this is one of the things I've dreaded on our journey (the labor is still #1.) I'm not the best when it comes to heat but I make do. Well, add on 10+ lbs and a lack of summer yet professional work attire and I'm in a bit of a pickle. But, luckily, your Dad and I chose what is the probably the windiest part of town to live. This has been a blessing when it reaches past 80 degrees!
You started kicking more frequently two weeks ago and I am very relieved. You will soon find out that your mama worries A LOT and will always be a worrier. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid or anxious but I do have a stock load of doubt and uneasiness. I worry a lot about you. If you're growing all right, if you're ship shape mentally and physically, things like that. So I'm really glad you're kicking, elbowing or kneeing me. Just don't do that once you come out.
I'll be registering soon for your nursery and things you will need. Your nana loves herself some pastel pink. If I left it up to your nana, every cotton-pickin' thing you will own would be baby pink. And maybe you would love that. But I had to reign her in. It's one thing to dress you up in pink and frilly things. I don't mind if she dresses you up like a cupcake. I'm pretty sure I'll think you're beautiful and precious no matter what. It is, however, quite another thing for me to have to look at a nursery with pastel pink everywhere. I can just imagine myself losing my $hit at 2 in the morning because I'm sleep deprived and having to look at a girlie girl room. So I'm sad that I have yet to find baby decor that has made my heart melt. I know, it's trivial which is why I haven't really worried about it. (I would much rather worry about how you're growing and doing.) But now that I have to register, I know this is a perfect opportunity to decorate your nursery with the help of our family and friends. But I just can't find anything I like yet.
I'm unsure how I want to handle your delivery. I'm still considering a doula but your dad is certain he will be able to be a great coach. I'm hoping he will learn massage and pressure point techniques that are supposed to be helpful during labor. Any little bit helps! And between you, me and the internet, I'm a little afraid of how your dad will react to all the blood and, hmm, stuff (no point in me getting graphic, we know all about the stuff) that will come from my body during labor. Shoot, I joked with him about the mucous plug and I know he was pretty disgusted. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Because, as you will soon find out, your dad is one tough dude and very much a guy's guy. So maybe he will be able to stomach the not-so-pretty to see just how rewarding your delivery will be. Plus, from the stories he tells me about the portables at work, he really shouldn't be disgusted with anything that happens in the delivery room.
Here's to a great next 3 1/2 months, Sticky Bun. You and I are both in uncharted territory (well, for us) and I am really looking forward to when you finally arrive. Because I love you soooo much already.

7 comments:

jen said...

awww, what an awesome letter to SB :)

And let me know where you register! :) I love giving presents hehe

Kim said...

Whoa, from the title of this entry, you've been pregnant a LOOOOONG time! How do you do it? LOL. Just kidding. ;)

Try not to worry so much...enjoy this time! Worrying is too stressful.

colip (well at least it wasn't colic!)

ElleDee said...

LOL, you called me on it, Kim. WEEKS! And today, I'm officially in my 24th WEEK.
I can't help but worry! I know I shouldn't and it doesn't really preoccupy all my time, but I'm a worrier so it is what I do in my spare time ;)
Tel and Jen, I hope my child does not read this until she is an adult. I like to curse way too much and would be such a bad example because she'll call me out on being a hypocrite! :P

demondoll said...

Wait until I get MY hands on stickyBun! I have a tiara in my sights

ElleDee said...

Oh sister ... you and nana will win every pink war that is waged when you visit :) Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if I end up wearing pink!

C said...

you better save this letter when she is a lot older to read what you were thinking when you were pregnant with her...that would make for a GREAT conversation..eehehhehe

ElleDee said...

Oh my ... I don't know if my personality will change or how much as a mama so it will be interesting how she and I will communicate.