Friday, September 30, 2011

Almost Two

Dear Bun,

You are one week away from being a whole TWO YEARS OLD. Like everyone has said at one time, "Where does the time go?"
Today I bought you a hairbrush. It wasn't just any ol' kiddie hairbrush. It was for an adult. Because the baby combs and brushes we have for you just don't cut it anymore. In fact, you and I have been sharing a hairbrush for a month now because you just have that much hair! (You can thank me and your daddy later for that.)
You are walking, you are talking and the world is your oyster. I knew it would be fun seeing the world in your eyes. And it is. But I think it's even more fun watching you discover the world. Your sheer joy is intoxicating and addicting. I just want to see you happy over and over again. Icky sweet? Maybe. But I don't care.
I can't wait to take you to one of my favorite places in the whole wide world. I know it's going to be one of your favorites too because you like the beach! By the way, Baby, later on you will see that not all beaches are the same and that there are some that are way better than others. And I'm taking you to one of the best. At least, in my limited knowledge but I have it on good authority that it really is;)
It's funny, a co-worker asked me if I was excited to go on vacation because I'll be able to relax.
Baby, I love you but there is no relaxing vacation with you. And that's OK! I explained to my colleague that it's different now that I have a baby. Vacations aren't relaxing anymore but the trade off is getting to see everything through your eyes. And sure, relaxation is a wonderful thing (your mama loves her some sleep), I know that these days aren't forever. I know that, one day, you will be more independent. And then, one day, going on vacation with your parents isn't going to be your #1 choice. (Thinking about that makes me wonder how many times I broke your grandparents' hearts:( You remember that, Bun.) So despite the fact that vacations are no longer about R & R, I'm excited to go. I'm excited to be with you, your Daddy, Nana and Papa and being with so many people I love in one place. Sure, I fully expect your Nana and Papa to drive me nuts with their shenanigans. But without you even knowing it, you have taught me to treasure every moment in life because it all goes by so very fast.
Happy almost birthday, my big girl.

I love you,
Mama

3 comments:

jen said...

ummm, heading to Hawaii to celebrate?!!? :)

Color me jealous!

Happy (almost) Birthday to your sweet girl! Seriously, where has the time gone?

Much love to her and to you on the special & memorable day.

Oh and yeah, vacations with a baby are actually more work than being at home. :D

C said...

oh that sounds like fun. Tell Sticky bun that at least mama and papa have money to take you on a nice vacation. I remember days when my parents were scrounging money for my food!

Oh how I wish I was ava and I can go on vacation with you guys!!!! so much fun!

ElleDee said...

Amen, Jen.
C, we are extremely blessed. While we are by no means rich, we are very lucky to be comfortable. Although I think we will not be making annual Hawaii trips for much longer. Very expensive :/