Monday, July 03, 2006

Taco Hell


I enjoyh Taco Bell. My favorite entree is the Nachos Bellgrande with guacamole, hold the beans.

Today, I was a good little coworker and went on a Taco Bell run for my colleagues. This particular po'dunk Taco Bell didn't have a drive thru so I had the pleasure of walking in and soaking up the ambience. It was typical Taco Bell environment - questionable cleanliness. Waited a couple of minutes in line and then finally put in an order. (I would totally shout out the location but there are a bunch on El Camino Real ... so just beware!)

The cashier had a hacking cough. It was pretty bad but he was polite enough to at least cough in his sleeve. But it was pretty bad. A few things were running through my mind. "Well, he's not preparing the food. He just touched my cash and receipt." As well as, "It's not my food." (Horrible, right? I do have a conscience, though. I would have gone somewhere else if he was the preparer.)

After I ordered, I waited off to the side, wondering if anyone would say anything about his really bad cough. No one did, including me, I admit. His coughing grew worse, becoming more frequent and I saw his eyes were watering. Finally, after ringing up a few more people, he motioned for one of the food preparers to take his place and he walked to the back of the employee area.

I shouldn't have watched him but I couldn't help myself.

I get a clear view of him spitting into a big trash can in the back. It was a cross between spitting and vomiting. I wanted to look away but I didn't. He just kept spitting up. Again, I looked around to see if anyone else saw him. No one else saw. He finally finished and he grabbed a papertowel to wipe his mouth and hands. Oops, nope. He wasn't done yet. He spat up some more. I waited to see if he washed his hands. But all I saw was him wiping his mouth and his hands with a papertowel.

Before I could see if he would go back to the register, my coworkers' food was ready. I totally lost my appetite at that point.

OK, so he didn't touch the food. But still. The hacking, the spitting up and then the seeming absence of hand washing.

UGH.

Are you wondering if I told my coworkers? I did. I wasn't as detailed but I told them because I felt obligated. I did stress, though, that he didn't touch their food. Naturally, they were a little grossed out. But they still ate their bean burritos and ultimate chalupa.

7 comments:

demondoll said...

Eeewww. And i know how much you like Taco Bell, so this must have been doubly distressing!(I also go no beans/with guac)

WGD and I were about to order drive-thru at KFC in Burbank when we saw a guy come out from behind the restaurant dumpster and -no joke- sniff his hand. We screamed and drove off.

Couch potato said...

That is just so wrong. ALL the KFC's here are Roach houses. I don't like to eat there anymore.

ElleDee said...

Isn't there any safe fast food joint anymore???
Or is that an oxymoron?

Veronica said...

ewww..

demondoll said...

You know how it is... be waitstaff in just about any restaurant, $-$$$, things be there that will make you cook at home.

Couch potato said...

Yes there is one fast food joint where you can't go wrong. IN-N-OUT my friend has worked at a couple of them and she says it is the same across the state. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.

So rest assured ladies when in doubt go to IN-N-OUT

demondoll said...

Love In-N-Out. There aren't any here :(