Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love

I don't need no stinkin' Valentine's Day to feel the love.
It does, however, remind me how blessed I am. Here's the thing. I know myself. I'm happier in a relationship. I'm terrible at getting out there and I'm awful at dating. But I also would rather be by myself than be in a relationship for the mere sake of having someone. I was a late bloomer - I didn't date in high school and then I was in two serious, long-term relationships. Since my current relationship is the second one, and since this year will mark a decade with The Man, one would argue that I've never been by myself or only very briefly. But I have, for the first 17 years in my life and roughly two years between my two serious relationships.
This is why I count myself blessed. I know how hard it is to find a person. And as someone who doesn't believe in games, or in complicated, torrid yet romantic relationships, I very well could still be single if I hadn't met The Man. Because he has taught me a lot. Our relationship has taught me a lot. A few gems:
1. Love isn't complicated.
I don't care what anyone says. You figure out a way to uncomplicate it. You stop seeing other people. You don't keep other relationships that would enable you to cheat. You make time if you really want to make time. You truly can figure it out. And if it's that complicated, is it real love? Because very rarely is it the two of you against the world. It's you two against each other that makes it heart breaking and exhausting.
2. Falling in love is easy. It's staying in love that take work.
Love takes a lot of effort whereas falling in love can almost be effortless. Love takes patience, consideration, forgiveness and a plethora of other things that require you to rise above and be a better person. You have to figure out how to be content without taking the person or your relationship for granted. This is pretty tricky and, honestly, I work on this constantly. Why? Because love takes work! Like how I brought it back to my hypothesis?
3. When you're in love, the person still turns you on & simultaneously melts your heart years later
I'm hoping that this stands the test of time. I think The Man is quite hubba-hubba and after all these years, he still floats my boat. I still sometimes look at him and am amazed I captured his interest because he surely could have had anyone. He's smart, kind, handsome and successful. Come to find out, he's an excellent family man, too. I am over-the-moon in love with The Man.
So, on this overrated holiday, these are my thoughts about love. It's uncomplicated but it takes a lot of work. And if it's true, it's for life.

1 comment:

jen said...

amen, sister-friend! amen!