Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Drove to Sacramento and back ...

... and those five hours give a person a LOT of time to think.
I first thought of favorite childhood smells. (The word, smell, has a negative connotation doesn't it? Oh well.)
My dad's cologne and aftershave mixed together: what he would smell like when he would kiss me good bye before he left for work.
My mom's shampoo, perfume and alcohol (rubbing, not the drink): my mom worked - and still does - in a laboratory and that's what she would smell like when she came home. My mom was a very strong presence in my childhood and probably the person I spent the most time with in my family while growing up.
My parents were no joke. My dad willingly worked graveyard so someone would ALWAYS be home when I was home.
Strawberry Shortcake Doll: she always smelled like baked goods. Yum.
My Little Pony: I just liked the smell of the plastic. I know - odd.
Lunchbox: unlike some other kids, I didn't let my lunchbox get nasty. Mine always smelled like sandwiches, specifically Wonder Bread.
Puto (it's not a bad thing): my mom would bake these steamed rice cakes all the time when I was a little kid.
Freshly cut grass: Now that I think about it, my ghetto school probably had more crab grass than anything else but it smelled really nice when they mowed it.

Let's see, what else did I think about on my drive ...
Oh yes, it's a good thing I don't drive for long stretches on a regular basis. I drive A LOT for my job but there are lots of stops. What's the difference? I have a much bigger urge to snack when I'm driving for a long period of time. I tend to splurge on road trips. So I gave into an urge and bought an Oreo Cookie Shake at Jack in the Box.
Damn, it was good.
Yes, I regret it now but I was a happy driver for a good half hour.
OK, those are the only random thoughts I can remember from my five hour commute.

4 comments:

demondoll said...

I loved Raspberry Tart best.

To me, Mommy always smells like Chanel #5, even when she isn't wearing it. Mom used to make all sorts of great desserts- you just couldn't make demands.
And yes, Daddy's cologne and after shave is so nice :-)

demondoll said...

About those sandwiches...
pretty nice, if I can do a little braggin' about the baggin'... hehe

ElleDee said...

OH MY GOSH, my sandwiches were the envy of my little girl group. Everyone thought it was soo cool that you cut letters out to spell "Liza" PLUS everyone envied the sour cream and onion lays chips. Such an awesome sister.

demondoll said...

You had the most exotic girl group names!
Lulu
Summer
Asia
Helsa
etc.,...

Man I was in a school of 2 Karen, 3 Lisa, 2 Debbie, an Audrey and a Renee. And not one clue amongst us!