Saturday, December 08, 2007

ENFP

This past week, I took the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator at our work conference. I've taken this assessment before in college but forgot what I had scored. If you've never taken it before, it's a test (or "assessment" for those who freak out when they see the word, "test") that recognizes type preferences in communication.
I love this kind of stuff. It's kind of like your horoscope but ten times better because it's scientific. OK, so it's social science but scientific, nonetheless.
I know that we all would like to think we're complex people who can't be pegged down by labels. But I like these kind of assessments because it points out your own preferences, lets people know how they should communicate with you and helps you understand how to communicate with others that aren't like you. It can be used in the workplace and in relationships. Foreel. I eat this stuff up.
I wish I could remember what I had scored in college to see if I've changed or am exactly the same. I was a bit surprised when I found out my type -
Extraversion - tend to focus on the outer world of people and things
Intuition (don't know why it's represented by a "N" but it is) - tend to focus on the future with a view toward patterns and possibilities
Feeling - tend to base their decisions primarily on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns
Perceiving - tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open.
Here is my description:
Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. See life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability improvise and their verbal fluency.
I was a little disappointed when I saw my description. Truly. I sounded like a gawd damn Care Bear. I wanted to be described as more of a hard ass, someone who didn't take crap and is stubborn because I think a person needs a bit of grit to be a leader in this world. But hey, maybe this is how I really am and this is how the world sees me. I have to admit, though, that I did identify with a lot of my description.
Well, I just HAD to find out what Jon was when I got home. Yes, I love this stuff that much. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is supposed to be taken in a controlled environment so we weren't allowed to bring the test sheets home. So what did I do? I whited out all my answers and made The Man take it. It may come as no surprise but we are indeed COMPLETE OPPOSITES. I was a little surprised just because I thought we might have two, or at least one, things in common.
He is ISTJ and here are his results:
Introversion - tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.
Sensing - tend to focus on the present and on concrete information gained from their senses.
Thinking - tend to base their decisions primarily on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect.
Judging - tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled.
Here is his description:
Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-0f-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized - their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.
It's so funny because the presenter had said that types are attracted to their opposites and, in our case, it's true! I think it's because we can't always the same all the time. For me, The Man helps me calm down, be low-key and enjoy the quiet. It would be exhausting to be the Energizer Bunny all the time. And I'm sure I add a little bit of chaos to his scheduled world :)

10 comments:

Veronica said...

When I was in therapy...my therapist had me take a similar test. I was the exact opposite of Albert too. (Albert took the exact test because the therapist had me bring the test home...he was curious to see who I married). I think we can all see that we are TOTAL opposites...Albert is quiet, I'm loud, among others. He totally calms me down and I'm just this explosive firecracker! Sometimes it's rather frustrating...I want action, reactions and noise.

Thank God for Ethan!

ElleDee said...

I know! The presenter gave so many great examples of the differences between communicators and had us laughing because they were all true!For instance, he pointed out to us Extraverts that we will ask Introverts a question. When they don't answer right away, we'll repeat the question either slower or louder. He said, "Extraverts, Introverts aren't stupid or hard of hearing. They need time to process!" Hahahahah ... took me a year to figure out that I have to wait a few minutes sometimes with The Man, especially if it's a really important question!

Veronica said...

ahahah that is SO true. I still say it slow and Albert will say, "why do you think I'm stupid!?" So then I say it louder...and he says, "Stop yelling!!"

AHHH I get so frustrated!

Veronica said...

oh as for the blogs...I try not to bore those who don't scrap with my scrapping crap...so that's why I made 2 blogs. One is for my personal/mama/wife syuff and the other about paper and glue hehe and I try to keep them that way. I say you visit both all the time ;) just saying...

demondoll said...

I believe I was INFP! I'll go look for it...

Veronica said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Kim said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

I seem to remember that you can take the test online. I did it a few years ago, but don't remember what I was. I'll have to look for it on the Web.

Unknown said...

I swear by these personality tests. I'm actually an ISTJ. It's funny... I always thought you and I had similar personalities, but apparently not! Perhaps we have more similar upbringings instead.

Oh and also belated Happy Birthday! :) I knew it was around that time of year! It's dad's birthday too huh? Wish him a happy birthday for me as well if you could! Miss you bunches, cousin!

xoxo

ElleDee said...

HAHAHHA! Vero, you make me laugh, speaking slower and then louder at your man ;)
Sister and Kim: Where on the web can you take this test?
Tiffany: I thought we were pretty similar too! Oh well, I can actually identify with "I" because I get into moods where I want to be holed up in my home and not talk to anyone. And, like I said, I thought I was more of a hard ass than what was described :P
Thanks for the sweet birthday wishes, everyone!

Kim said...

OK, I think you can't take the actually REAL Myers-Briggs online, but there are a bunch on the Web that are similar or based on the test. Just go to google and type in Myers-Briggs. :0)