Saturday, August 15, 2009

Week 31

Take THAT, gestational diabetes! HA! (Although it might have been a blessing in disguise because it would have discouraged me from eating everything under the sun.) In any event, my glucose test came back normal. And that's how I kick started week 31.
I think I'm waddling now. Lor' knows I've stopped crossing my legs a long time ago. And I think I sit like a Sumo wrestler. Sex-xyyyyy. But when your stomach now rests on your lap when you sit, do you really care? Well, I do ... and then I reposition myself and try to forget about it. I also strongly dislike pants. I have a maternity work dress for every day of the week and think I will cycle through them until I give birth. Because the idea of pants makes me want to scream! I hate that they feel constricting by the end of the day (I get bloated easily on a daily basis, even before the pregnancy.)
But there's plenty of good stuff, too. OK, just one really. But I love it. I can feel Sticky Bun kick or move just about all the time now. Sometimes I'll gasp for what looks like no reason but it's because she got in a good one and surprised me. Or sometimes it will feel like she got in a good thump and decided to drag her foot down for good measure. And it may be a weird thing to most but I LOVE it. I like knowing she's there, hanging out, getting bigger and stronger. Because I worry, you know? And her thumps just reassure me that she's doing all right. Obviously if and when it starts to hurt, I may be singing a different song. But this is probably the best part of my last trimester.
Sooooo ... I've been around a few new mommies (they gave birth late last year) and I enjoy hearing about their experiences. They are all so different - one mama had a Doula, the other two did not. Two had quick pregnancies, one had a verrrrrrry long one! Things like that. In any case, one mama has been singing the praises of cloth diapers.
That's right, cloth diapers.
Jeezus on a stick, how granola have I become?!
But listen ... this gal loves cloth diapers for so many reasons. Good for the environment (uh huh - I'm getting better but I'm far from winning any Ms Green USA awards), easy to use, and a lot cheaper than disposable. NOW you have my attention!
She broke down the cost per month and then the savings after a year. WOW. So I mention this to The Man who automatically crinkles his nose. Who can blame him? I did it too. But then he went online and did some research (one of the reasons why I love this man to death - he is very open minded!) We're not sure if this is REALLY true but one of the benefits is that babies in cloth diapers tend to potty train faster. We're not sure how one is linked to the other so we just chalk this up to a bonus benefit if it's true. He, like me, really liked the savings aspect. And another thing we both liked is that diaper rashes will be minimal if not non existent. This is great because I have very sensitive skin and I fear I will pass this fun trait to my daughter. But then The Man took it a step further. He looked into Diaper Services. Because even though breast milk poo isn't as bad, he still didn't like the idea of having to deal with it.
That's right, I married the man of my dreams. Really honey, we're going to use a diaper service?!
He examined the cost of the service vs disposable diapers and we still will save money. So we're going to try the diaper service out for the first two months. Yes, I recognize that it is sad that things of this nature make me so over-the-moon-happy but I don't care. I am super excited that we will be using one!
And that is all for Week 31. Not really a cohesive entry but just a bunch of jumbled thoughts. I'm going to blame it on the pregnancy. And not because I'm too lazy to take the time to form good paragraphs:)

3 comments:

jen said...

I'm a big fan of cloth diapers for all the reasons you mentioned and more. But mainly because I saw it in action with out niece. She was put in cloth diapers and only used disposables when they went out or traveled and it worked great. Plus, and this was my selling point, she was potty trained before she was a year old! yeah, it was so eye-opening to see that it could be done that early in life! That, plus the no-diaper-rash and good-for-the-environment stuff makes me a believer in cloth!

I applaud you and Gil for your choice! :D

ElleDee said...

*Sigh* spoke to soon. Evidently, my glucose is a smidge high. Coupled with my higher-than-normal blood pressure, I know have to go back and take the three hour glucose test - getting stuck on the hour, every hour!

Kim said...

Hey there, comin' atcha from week 38! How did the test go?

Lordy, woman, I have to warn you...at about week 36 (right after I went on disability) baby had an explosive growth spurt and I can't cross my legs, turn over easily in bed or bend over. Be prepared for the last few weeks...they're surprising! Luckily he seems to have dropped, so I can breathe easier and eat a little more. These are plusses to look forward to. :) Also, way more squirming and fewer full-on kicks!