Monday, November 02, 2009

Birth Story part I

Tuesday, October 6th was my first day of maternity leave! My due date was 11 days away but I was slowing down. I took it easy and didn't fill up my day with lots of To Dos. I did want to make the best of my newly found free time, though, and made simple plans for lunch with a good friend. We went to my favorite South Indian restaurant and was stuffed with all sorts of vegetarian goodies. Afterwards, we decided to get pedicures - I figured I should have pretty feet because I would be going to the hospital in a few days and just about everyone working there would have to see all parts of my body, including my feet.

My friend and I parted ways around 2:00pm because she had to pick up her son from school and I had my weekly doctor's appointment. I took deep breaths as I was driving to Kaiser because my doctor was monitoring my blood pressure and I didn't want to give her any reason to send me to the lab for blood work. I hated going to the lab because it always oozed of sick people!

When I got to my doctor's office, I did the weekly ritual of peeing in a cup and then waited for my appointment. The nurse called me in, took my blood pressure and ... son of a biscuit. It was 140/90. Not bad for most people but in comparison to my normal numbers (like117/70), I knew that my doctor would lecture me. Well, she's very nice so she doesn't have to do much at all to make me feel guilty.

I waited in the examination room with dread, knowing that she would most likely make me go to the nasty lab where everyone was sick and have to give blood to make sure things were OK. I was partially right. My doctor came into the room and told me that my blood pressure was too high for me and that there was a lot of protein in my urine. Like she was asking me to pass the sugar, she casually told me that these were signs of Preeclampsia and that I would most likely need to deliver within the next 24 hours. She already called the lab so that they would expect me to test my urine one more time as well as take some blood work. After going to lab, she said, I was then to go straight to Labor & Delivery to await my lab results and most likely to be admitted.

I was knocked off my feet. I mean, I KNEW that births hardly if ever go according to plan. Anything and everything can happen. But I thought I had at least a week more of maternity leave before delivering. I was only ONE CENTIMETER dialated. I knew that my baby was no where near ready to get the party started. If I had to deliver within 24 hours, my preferred plan of going the natural route was most likely slim to none.

I had started to cry because I felt overwhelmed. I just nodded and smiled at my doctor through my tears and made my way to the lab. I took a number and waited among the sick (the lab is probably what I dislike most about Kaiser), gave blood and another urine sample, and then walked a lonely walk to the Labor & Delivery ward. Once I go there, they had me lie in bed in a curtained area that must have doubled as the break room. I had privacy but I also heard the microwave being used, the fridge being opened and what sounded like a couple of people taking their lunch. Sweet. Did I mention Iwas hungry by this time? Sure I was upset but I was still pregnant and needed to eat!

During this time, they set me up on a heart rate monitor and I just waited. And waited. And waited. So I made some calls. I called my husband first who had casually answered the phone. He knew it was me because of caller ID but I couldn't say anything because I knew the flood gates would open. He jokingly said, Hellllo?!", thinking I was goofing off. Finally, I just said in a broken voice, "I'm in the hospital. The doctor said she thinks I have Preeclampsia. I'm waiting for my lab results. If I have it, I'll have to deliver the baby sometime during the night."

"What?" He was waiting for me to get home so we could get some dinner. By this time, an hour had gone by and talking to The Man calmed me down. We both figured that if my situation was truly an emergency, I would have heard from the Labor & Delivery doctor on call. But I hadn't. And by the end of our conversation, we decided that he would wait for me to come home and we would get burgers. Because I was starving! Afterwards, I called my doula and left her a message. Having to relay the message again, although I had calmed down, made me tear again. I made the decision NOT to call my parents at this time because, although I was terrified, I still hadn't heard from the doc and it was nearly two hours since my original appointment.

At around 5:30pm, the Labor & Delivery doctor finally came around and told me that my lab results all came back. I was officially diagnosed with Preeclampsia and the only way to remedy this was to deliver my baby as soon as possible, preferably by tomorrow morning. Well, hell. The Man thought I was calling him to let him know that I was coming home but, instead, I called him crying AGAIN to let him know that I was being admitted into the hospital and that I needed him to call my parents, our doula and to bring my the bag I packed for the hospital.

And yes, I was still hungry, damn it.

2 comments:

Veronica Milan said...

dang it woman!!! GIVE me part 2!!!

jen said...

I totally agree with Veronica and Tel! Can't wait to hear more about Ava's adventure.