Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mini Staycation

Written 7/13/12: Sometimes trendy, made up words annoy me. Like Bennifer or Branjelina. OK, those are names. Like ... conversated (that's not a real word, people!) But I've also thought there were some pretty cute words, like staycation, which best describes the meaning and is very appropriate.
I know I'm lucky to live in the Bay Area. I love it and understand that's why my small home cost a pretty penny and should it be plucked and moved to just about anywhere else, it would be half the price. If that.
But I digress.
This week, Sister and my nephew visited us. Last time Sister visited, I only took two days off and deeply regretted it. I'm not a workaholic but I just hadn't wrapped my brain on the fact that I don't have to travel somewhere to take paid time off. I promised myself and my Sister that the next time she visited, I would take more time off. This time I took FOUR days! I know, not a whole bunch but twice as much as last time ;)
I had so much fun.
I think it helps that The Bun is older. She's more mobile, lasts longer through the day without needing a nap and is just all around a pretty nifty companion. I won't lie, it's very helpful that there are other kids to capture her attention so she isn't bored. I guess it doesn't surprise other parents but I find it so interesting that she doesn't have to playing with kids to enjoy their company. The Bun is very much a people watcher. Had it just been The Man and me, it's a little harder to keep her amused all day and I don't know if she could last an entire day and early evening of being on the go. But w/ two older cousins and an Auntie, she was a trooper!
San Francisco Day: Sister planned a casual day of going to the city. This would consist of -
- BART ride to Powell Street
- Cable Car ride to Fisherman's Wharf


then we made it up as we we went ...
- Walk to Ghirardelli Square

- Walk from GS to Pier 39


- Enjoy Pier 39 for a while and then had back to Fisherman's wharf ... take the cable car back to Powell and then take BART back to the East Bay.
This was an ALL day excursion! Props to our 13 year old, 11 year old and 2 year old! They only got a little grumpy towards the end. I'm honestly impressed because the whole day was effin' cold. Seriously. Just the day before, it was 80+ degrees in the East Bay. We know San Francisco is typically cooler so we thought high 60s. Um, no, I think we were in the high 50s low 60s. It was CHILLY.
But what a fun day!

No comments: