Sunday, October 22, 2006

Big news - fluffy package

OK. Jon-Jon and I have been talking about this for a while. I didn't want to share with you guys yet because we wanted to make sure we were serious. We know that this is a big decision - big responsibility and big money! So we've started some preliminary research on finding the perfect puppy for us -

We weren't ready to get a puppy for quite some time, even though we've been wanting one. For goodness sake! When are we ever home? But Jon2 is going to have three weeks off very soon. This will give us (OK - HIM!) time to acclimate the puppy to its new surroundings. What about never being home? Well, The Man will most likely have a trailer at his next job site and he is allowed to bring a dog to work,. So puppy will most likely go with him nearly every day to work. I hear it is quite possible for me to bring a tiny dog to work, too but I kind of doubt that. I have, however, a friend close by who said that as long as my dog is not possessed, she will take care of it once a week and she works within five minutes of my work place.

My heart is set on a Maltese. From the research we've done online, this breed is the most compatible with our ideal puppy traits. But we've come across two problems. The first is that we do not know Maltese breeders in our area. We've looked them up but we don't know them from a bucket of paint. The second is that the one breeder that was referred to us by a coworker wants $1,700 for her puppies. I won't even tell you why that's a problem for us.
I'm not sure where that leaves us. If any of you know of a good breeder or know someone that knows someone, please help a sister out. We are very loving couple who would give a puppy a very nice home. And if not a Maltese, a reputable place we can buy/adopt a small dog, pure or mixed*? Open to most small dogs except a chihuahua. Or any other dog that may pee if you look at it funny. I cannot stand nervous dogs.
*If you're wondering why a small dog, it's because small dog=small poop. I can't deal with big poop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
10/26/06: (Please read my last comment.) And here I go, already breaking my promise! This was taken by the seller. She is MUCH cuter in person/doggie. (I took a picture of her with my phone and I've discovered the gal just isn't photogenic! It's OK, though. She's cute - she looks very much like a lhasa apso puppy.) Oh, and we have a name. I'll introduce you when I post a picture that WE take a picture of her. Maybe she will learn to flirt with the camera by then ;)

17 comments:

demondoll said...

Maybe a mutt, just definitely a combo of Maltese and something compatible?

Anonymous said...

Will any of the local shelters keep a eye out for the types of breed/mix your looking for?

Veronica said...

AWWW...a puppy. That is so cute. I know noting about puppies...
but...when you are ready to have a baby...I'm here for you!! ;)

ElleDee said...

Sister: I love mutt mutt dogs. Look at Chewy! But now they are even charging big bucks for "designer" dogs with desired traits like a non-shedding coat.
WGD: I will call shelters and see. There are plenty of SPCAs around. Thanks for the tip!
Pooks: Good lor'! Baby steps, woman, baby steps. I've kept a plant alive for two years, now I'm moving on to a pet. Then we'll see.But I know I can count on you and Sister when the time comes! A. Long. Time. From. Now. :)

demondoll said...

Ms. Lulu, I don' know nuthin' 'bout raisin' no babies. I don't know what made me say such a thing!(I am in the middle of a huge snit fit with my Boy)

Kim said...

Lulu: I always loves me the craigslist...

VS said...

Definitely a mutt...so much better-tempered than pedigrees. I think it's a great idea...and I admire your perspicacious progression of responsibility: plant, puppy,...

Couch potato said...

I don't know nothin bout puppies either but I do love them and want one badly. I will name mine Pup-cake which might make him the laughing stock of the neighborhood but whatever what will you name said puppy.

demondoll said...

I love Pup-Cake! That is the cutest name.
I like the use of perspicacious :)

ElleDee said...

OK peeps, we are pretty sure we are getting a Maltese/Pekingese mix! Names are still being considered. We will pick up our little one this Saturday. She is 2 1/2 months old and 4 lbs.
I am soooo nervous! The Man thinks I'm koo-koo but I think he's starting to realize that our daily routine will never be the same! Wish us luck ;)

White Ghost Devil said...

Regarding names, I think that mountain names, like Shasta or Whitney, are good. Of course, I can't be trusted since I named our last cat "Fluffy."

demondoll said...

I can't wait to see the pix of your little pup!!!!! Ooooh, mebbe I can knit a little sweater? jk, I wouldn't do that to an animal...

Veronica said...

HA! you sound like a mama...the only BIG difference is....If you don't like the pup you can find a new home for her. ;) It's true.
With baby, you'll be considered a BAD mama. hehe

demondoll said...

During a really bad Boy fit, I sometimes offer to leave Him with the nice folk at church. Or the police station.
"Why aren't the neighbors calling CPS?! I just wanna sleep..."

ElleDee said...

I just saw my furry baby today! I was 90% sure of her but I was still curious (about 10% curious) about the FEMALE Morkie. So we went to see both of them.
I first visited with my baby, the Pekatese. She was sweet and chasing around a toy. Then we visited the cutie-pie Morkie.She was as cracked-out as her brother and bouncing all over the place.
Jon2 said that Pekatese zones out when you pick her up (he likes the lively, bouncy, running-around-like-its-ass-is-on-fire puppies.) I don't mind a bit that she's chill. I just hope that she stays that way :) But at the end of our visit, we were 100% sure of the Pekatese.
We're picking her up on Saturday! I will post only a couple of pictures. I promise.

Uh, never mind. I don't promise. It's my blog :)

demondoll said...

I'm glad you picked the mellow one. i hear the livelier ones are a little harder to train- they think they are alpha-dog!

Veronica said...

how cute...post all the pics you want...she's your new baby.

Welcome to motherhood! Without the labor...