Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Am I in the wrong job?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_7354128
Hot damn! Who knew my little 'hood paid our civil workers so much?!?! Now I know that most of them probably deserve the cushy salary but 879 employees with salaries over $100,000?! This article only highlights 280 of them. Fishy, very fishy. It makes me think why the Haystack isn't a whole heckuva lot nicer.
Oh well. While their salaries are awfully pretty, I have no desire to do any of those jobs so I'll keep on truckin' with my gem of a job but not so gem of a salary. Hehe.
Thanks to the local paper for bringing it to everybody-and-their-mamas' attention :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Honestly, that seems a LITTLE corrupt to me. Police officers and fire fighters making over 100 grand? and THAT many of them? Something doesn't smell right...

demondoll said...

30% seems too high to me, too. And I noticed that some of those positions are pure bureaucratic jobbies.

demondoll said...

Just read twitter. Welcome to my world. We Aduviso gals must have a knack ;-)

Anonymous said...

The numbers seem a lot less than "round" to me. For most of those, I wonder what their base pay is and how much of that hundred-grand-plus is overtime. If the base pay is a lot less than $100,000, how are these guys racking up so much overtime? Oh, and what exactly is a "fire apparatus operator"?

ElleDee said...

Hey Tiffany! Yes, you're right. It seems a bit odd. Like my sister pointed out, a lot of salaries start with a base of $70k.
But to have THAT many over $100k?! Hmmm.
Sister - I can't wait to see your response to backlash the paper received from some of their readers
Darwin - Another welcome surprise! Bet you felt compelled to comment since it was about our ol' stompin' grounds :) When will you be coming back, anyhow?! Oh, and I read the article. According to them, it is a person who drives the firetruck and fights fires.

Kim said...

Thanks for the shout out and link to the local "rag"! Safe to say that as its editor, I'm not making even close to $100K. Boo.

sorbykey (yes, that's really the veri word!)