Sunday, November 25, 2007

I adore San Francisco

I am a gal from the 'burbs. I grew up in the suburbs and plan on raising a family there, too. But I've always admired San Francisco, like a pretty piece of jewelry. I could see it from across the bay when I was little girl and it just seemed so exciting and grown up.
I lived, worked, and studied in San Francisco for about five years. I don't pretend to know the city like the back of my hand - the way my native San Franciscan friends do or the ones that have lived there for a long time. But I am a lifetime admirer and today reminded me of that.
Today I visited a friend who lives in the Sunset district. We had breakfast near Ocean Beach. I forgot how much I loved the Sunset district. I was always there because of school and would sometimes kill a big gap of time between classes at Ocean Beach. I forgot how nice it was to be so close to the ocean. I could smell the salt in the air and it was cool without being too cold - perfect for walking around.
Then we drove to the Marina district to walk the pups and window shop on Chestnut and Union Streets. I also forgot how fun it is to leisurely walk and shop in the Marina district. The shops had their Christmas decorations up and it made me so happy! I also love browsing in shops that are only in San Francisco. People were out in their Uggs and stylish sunglasses, eating at yummy restaurants, shopping or walking their pooches :) It wasn't as busy as it usually can be during the weekends so I enjoyed walking on the bustling but not over crowded sidewalks. I also enjoyed how many places let pups inside so their owners can shop. So lovely!
I often forget how much I love being in San Francisco. Living 45 minutes away often feels like a different world and seems to make it too cumbersome of a trip to make. There are so many reasons to stay away - horrible parking, too cold, some places are dirty and funky, The Man isn't a fan of the city, and it's kind of a hassle with two dogs! But it's visits like the one I had today, especially during the holiday season, I remember why I adore San Francisco. It's such a beautiful place with so much diversity among its people, sites, food, and merchandise. I admit, I miss living, working and studying in the city! But I'm very thankful to live in the Bay Area where it's only a 45 minute trek to such a wonderful place.

12 comments:

ElleDee said...

Oh noooooooo!!! When I finished writing this entry, I thought of you and hoped it wouldn't bring you down because I know you are home sick. Because SF is your home! I'm sorry, baby :( But today made me remember how much I love San Francisco.
We will reunite you with lover in February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrs. A said...

what a great ode to San Francisco. I must say, I got a bit teary-eyed when I read your entry. I miss the city and can't wait to go back...and yay for stores that open up to pups and people alike! :)

ElleDee said...

Do you remember how much I loved your apartment in the Sunset? Dammit, it was so nice - I think it was my favorite apt to visit in that area.

demondoll said...

How I love San Francisco! It is a delight :-)

I'm glad you reconnected with it. Maybe we could make pilgrimage when the family visits??? Please?

You inspire me to mebbe write a love letter to Seattle. Except for cult-of-personality hizzoner Nickels, it's a great place.

C said...

I MISS SF and I HEART SF too!!!!!!

at least you're 45 minutes away. =(

Its like how I miss parts of L.A.. but the trek out there with traffic and gas prices make me stay out in my suburban hood.

Veronica said...

oh...the bay area.... *sigh*

Veronica said...

off topic question...but are you changing your last name?

ElleDee said...

Hmm, I haven't decided. Right now, I'm thinking I'll take the lazy way - unofficially change it (when I write letters and all that good stuff.) But SS#, the bank, license ... I don't know yet. I know it will be a hassle when we have a child (for me to be the only one with a different last name) so I'm not sure.
Why do you ask? (Not that I mind!)

Kim said...

Got your message the other day...I'd definitely be down for visiting State one of these days. Oh yeah, and that reminds me to look up whether there have been any articles on the moldy apartment building. Maybe they fixed it?

I'm in the throes of name-changing right now. Well, sort of. I can't really do anything until SS changes my name. I've gotten one credit card changed...the one I always use. But until SS finishes its deal, I can't do anything with my bank accounts, mortgage, driver's license or payroll at work. Kind of a pain. But my name is staying the same at work insofar as e-mail address and my name in print. Everything else is changing. So, word to the wise, it does take a while!

demondoll said...

I changed everything but my union cards- because they don't care. I'm torn, because I LOVE my maiden name, but bairn/home ownership/somebody's wishes...
I kinda think it would be great if females kept the mother's family name going, and the sons kept the fathers... Um, starting with our generation please

Kim said...

If we have a boy, I've been thinking that my maiden name could be his middle name. But, y'know...that's still a ways off and all... :0)

VS said...

Sigh...my favourite place on the planet. Nands down.