Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jam packed weekend!

Says the girl who normally hangs around the house with The Man and their two pups.

On Saturday I went to get my dressed altered. Again. I think I must have been so focused on the fact that my dress needed to seriously be hemmed that I didn't look at anything else. Then a few days later, I wanted to see how the dress looked with the necklace I had made. Thank goodness I did that! I realized that my straps were too loose and my V-neckline was very low. How come I didn't notice this before?! Well, one fixes the other so that's why I brought it back to the tailor on Saturday. He is also going to fix the bustle (is that the spelling?) so that it doesn't show. After I dropped off my dress, my friend and I went to the St. Patrick's Day parade in San Francisco.
Earlier last year, I vowed to myself that I would partake, at least one time, in many of the festivities that make the Bay Area a fun place to live. Well, this one was a doozie. Oooo-weeee, talk about a lot of drinking! There was beer EVERYWHERE! And I think every Irish person in the Bay Area made a showing which is fantastic since I don't see too many where I live (Little Mexico. And yes, I'm allowed to call it this because my Mexican friends nicknamed it.) I'm all about diversity. So the beer was flowing which was great for the beer drinkers but not so much for me. My friend and I ordered a big Diet Coke at Burger King and then went to the nearest liquor store, bought some rum and dumped it in. What a little piece of heaven.
You can take the girl out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the girl.
Although, in its concealed Burger King cup, at least we didn't throw caution (and good taste) into the wind and drink out of a paper bag. After we made our concoction, we made our way back to the Beer Garden and that was a ton more fun! Truthfully, I didn't see a lick of the parade. We were with a group that wanted to stay in the Beer Garden and so that's where we stayed. I think the Beer Garden was designed so they can have people legitimately drink right outside of City Hall and not get in trouble. Sweet! What was also great was that the St. Patrick's Day parade brought out everyone. Of course, there was little brown me who was obviously not Irish. But I also saw a Chinese Bagpipe player, an entire Hispanic family dressed in green and many other ethnicities tht wanted to help the Irish pay tribute to their day. Fun!
Thank goodness it was a daytime activity because on Sunday, today, I had a three hour yoga workshop. Starting at 6:00am. Back in the city.
Oh sweet baby jeezus, it was REALLY hard getting up at 4:00am. I was meeting back up with my friend on the Peninsula at 5:00am and then we were carpooling back up to San Francisco so we could be there by 5:30am. I know I've been waking up pretty GD early to workout but even 4:00am was a little extreme for me.
But back to the yoga workshop. OK, I do not claim to be a true blue Yogi. I really enjoy the classes I take at the gym but haven't been a regular at a yoga studio. And I most certainly haven't attended a three hour workshop. This class KICKED MY ASS. The room was set at a comfortable 70 degrees but quickly warmed with the 70+ people in the class. I was drenched in my own sweat. This was a little uncomfortable but I felt like I was getting a great workout. What was not at all great was that other people's sweat was everywhere. I am not exaggerating. We had to do inversions using the wall so people were walking all around the room to stake claim on a piece of the wall. There was enormous amounts of foot sweat on the floor. And some people didn't think it was rude to step on other people's mat. With their foot sweat. Anyway, because we were using the wall to support us for handstands, there was also sweat on the wall from feet as well as hands. Yes, there was literally sweat dripping from the walls.
Maybe you don't recall my hang up with bodily fluids but I am very uncomfortable being in contact with other people's sweat. I don't enjoy being splashed with it, rubbed against with it or touching it with any parts of my body. And while I was pretty distracted by how physically challenging the class was, I still noticed all the sweat around me. When I finally walked out of the class three hours later, my feet were dripping with my and many other people's sweat. I just can't get over something like that. I wish I could, I wish I didn't care, but that really grosses me out.
I am very happy to go back to the little cold studio in the gym that I belong to and do my yoga there. With sweat free walls and floors. Because even though I feel like I just ran a marathon and got one of the best workouts that I've had in a good long time, I just can't get past the sweat. It's a hang up of mine that I wish I could change but I can't. And it's really quite a shame since my mom's profession was microbiology and all she did was deal with bodily fluids. But I fear that I will always be this way which means limited or no yoga classea at yoga studios. And I am A-OK being an Amateur or Novice Yogi.

3 comments:

demondoll said...

Did you use the new mat? Give it a 2nd chance?

Ew, people's sweat is- well- ew. I can deal because I just gotta, but I know it makes you urf! poor sister...

ElleDee said...

No, I gave my (former) new mat two tries and it's got no traction. So useless!
I admire your perspiration tolerance. I wish I was only that accepting. I'm sure I would enjoy many awesome yoga workshops!!

MuniSucks said...

You should have called me I wa near the parade! I didn't know you ventured out to the big city.