Friday, June 13, 2008

A truly deep and important topic

My hair. This internal battle happens every so often, usually when I have too much time on my hands or if it's hot.
Well, it's getting hot.
I remember when I was 21 years old I promised myself that I would cut my hair when I turned 25. I wanted to be a reporter and knew that I would have to have a stylish yet sensible bob. Yahhhh, and when that time came around, I was in grad school studing broadcasting and realizing that I didn't want a career in television. Oops.
Then year after year, I entertained the idea and chickened out. This past year, knew I wanted to grow it out for the wedding because I wanted long, pretty curls. Obviously the wedding has come and gone and here it is, 85+ degrees and I'm hot as all get out again.
Recently I've been looking at these women with their sophisticated angled bobs (you know, the one where it's longer in the front and the back is so short it's even shaved.) I've also been admiring those really daring cuts where the hair is just two or three inches long and it's spikey but still feminine with very cool highlights. Very femmebot, if you will. They look so cute and cool in this summer heat while I feel like I'm just melting away, looking sweaty and having limp hair. Ponytails and buns are my only boring saviors.
But I am a big ol' chicken. I'm still traumatized over my early college years when I chopped off more than a foot (result from a broken heart) and didn't know anything about hair to ask for it to be layered. So there I was, looking like a saucerhead. Or mushroom. Not a pretty time in my life.
So there it is, folks. All that hair. I posted a picture because other than it looking red from the sunlight (it's actually brown to dark brown,) it's pretty accurate. That hair, people, causes my body temp to rise 5-10 degrees from the actual temperature outside. OK, no scientific proof but it feels that way. And I know that I will just grin and bear it - or bitch and bear it - for the summer and then forget all about my urge to cut it in the winter. Because that's when I really appreciate being 5-10 degrees warmer.
Or I'll finally get the stones to do it and just chop it all off. We'll see.
----------------------------
I like this blog. And her most recent entry reminded me that I had written a while back that I wanted to write about good things that happen to me just as a reminder that life really isn't that bad. And it's so easy to complain ... why isn't it just as easy to be positive? Here goes:
1. My parents invited us over for a BBQ dinner and it was goooood.
2. I'm looking over at the couch right now and both The Man and Pili are sleeping on their backs with Pili cuddling up against his leg. So freakin' cute!
3. I'm grateful I can work from home.
4. I talked to my long lost (well, for a few months!) BFF at work and although she's moving to a different department, she said we'll still be work BFFs :)
5. The purse I'm knitting up is looking nice.
It's kind of sad that I had to pause and think of five simple things that were positive. I bet, without hesitation, I could list all sorts of stuff to bitch about. Hopefully if I'm able to stick with it, the good stuff will be easier to remember! I know, how Sunshine Suzy of me but I don't care! I need a little more Miss Merry Sunshine in me!!!

4 comments:

Anna M said...

Just do it! My hair was exactly like yours till I finally said "^%$# it - I'm doing it!"

It feels so much better except for the fact I miss it when I go to put it up.

You will feel so much better after you do it. I promise. Then you can donate your hair to Locks of Love and rest in knowing that it is going to a good cause!

Either way, you are a beautiful soul short hair, long hair, no hair!

Have a good weekend honey!

demondoll said...

I go through phases, when I crop it I donate mine :-)

I say if you love your hair, keep it- it is gorgeaous! If the hair isn't fun right now, cut it. It always grows out at least 1/2" a month, so it won't stay short if you don't care for the style.

ElleDee said...

Can't donate it because it's "processed." MamaLu hit the bottle at the wee age of 16 and has not stopped since.

C said...

okay...i had that bob you were talking about. that a-line longer in the front angled and shorter in the back...although i loved that Mrs. Beckham hair, it made me look younger than I wanted to look and it was a BITCH to maintain. I had to constantly keep the back neat and shapely cause if you let it keep growing it looks ragged (i would maintain it every 2 weeks..it was kind of expensive). I also but red RED streaks in it to get that "hip" daring look...then growing it out was a bitch..because the in between growth hairstyles didn't give me much to work with.

I'm not discouraging you from chopping it all off! if you want to..go for it.. but I'm miss low maintenance with hair and as much I like to change up my hair...the short I will go is (according to your picture) 2 inches below the shoulder because 1. it was long enough to tie it up in a ponytail. 2. if I wante to curl it and do some up dos there was some hair left to do the hairstyles. 3. during the summer...it was enough to not drive me nuts because anything longer would stick to my arms ....by the time fall and winter came it was semi longer where I can enjoy long hair again.

I will not cut it short short again until i'm probably much older and I want to look younger again.

I remember the last time i saw you with a shorter haircut than the one in your picture and I thought that worked just fine!