Saturday, October 18, 2008

I'm fine, how are you?

Still pluggin' away at work (and yes, although it makes sad that anytime I drop my Gs I think of Sarah Palin, I have to stay true to form) but it's much better. Easier? Heyyyyylllllz no! But I am much more accustomed to my schedule and have made peace with it.
Throughout the years, I've learned that very rarely do The J-O-B duties change for any given position. So either I have to adapt and make peace with it or I have to leave because whether it's me or someone else in the position, the job is always going to be the job. Kind of profound, isn't it? Or maybe not. It seems like a simple enough concept but we can be stubborn people. We think that we can just do what we really like or what we're really good at and then, because we have proven ourselves, we can shove off what we don't like to other people.
On that rare occasion, it sometimes works. Typically, though, we have to be in the job for several years and prove to be moderately successful in all facets of the position (including the one we want to get rid of) before we can negotiate removing the duties we don't care for ... and we better have a damn good argument why. But most of the time, whether we like it or not, we have to take the whole job description and own it. The parts we love, the parts we hate - all of it.
It's funny, I didn't think this entry was going to go this way. I was actually going to post pictures of the shoes I liked from Sofft that I'm planning to slowly add to my shoe collection the way Angelina adds kids to her household. But I've witnessed and continue to witness people who are struggling with accepting important parts of their job. And it's sad to watch because, in the end, I know that the job description will win. I mean, I've been on both sides. At my last job, I knew right away that I didn't like it. But I tried to convince myself it would work because I liked the people I worked with. But man, I hated my job and Sundays nights my stomach would hurt because I knew I would have to through another week of unsatisfying work. Now I never tried to change the job so that I only did what I wanted because I knew what the job entailed - I just didn't know how much I would dislike it. And because I knew the job wasn't going to change for me, I had to make the very difficult decision to leave it for the unknown.
Now I'm at a job that, over all, I love. Of course there are parts that I wish I didn't have to do but I'm at peace with having to do them. As I mentioned, though, there are others who try to reshape a position that was well established before they ever came on and isn't going to change even if they leave. I'm not just talking about people who do the same thing as me because I see it in many other areas. And rather than trying to adapt, there is a resistance. And I know that the inevitable will come when they realize that the description will always win and it's hardly ever pretty or peaceful.
Goodness, I didn't mean for this to be a morbid post! It really isn't. It's just an observation I've been thinking about for a few days now.
Anyway ... shoes!

The Maddox

The Sahara

The Pax

The Shiloh

The Vivienne

I guess I need to find one more that I like and call it the Knox! Wow, she has more kids than shoes that I've been eyeing for work. Jeez.

8 comments:

Veronica Milan said...

hahhah I love the shoes! My fav Vivienne

Oh and I am deathly scared of goign back to work. I'm thinking a second baby sounds good right about now...hahah and being poor...hahah

Auntie Sassy said...

I'm particularly fond of the Pax and the Vivienne, but I love the Sahara as well.

P.S. You are adorable.

mrs. A said...

ohhh, so cute! My fave is the Pax :)
Perhaps we can add more to your collection when I come visit?!?

Anna M said...

Great shoes!

I'm glad you love your job!

ElleDee said...

Ladies, I wore the Pax today and they were quite comfortable ;)
PS: I think I found the Knox shoes I want. Will post soon!

Unknown said...

Umm cousin I don't remember you showing me FIVE pair of shoes. lol I <3 the Pax shoes... kinda wanted them in the gold color or the tan you have there but am a little scared of buying them because those OH so comfortable Naturalizers I bought two pairs of turned out to be AWFUL after walking around Union Square for a bit... bought $20 worth of blister bandages, heel protectors and some other cushiony thingies. haha I ended up wearing flip flops for the rest of the trip, yes even in 50 something degree weather. Miss you guys and SF already. Terribly. Am back to work today and slightly have those vacation blues you and I speak of after trips but these aren't QUITE as severe. lol have a wonderful work week and hope you recruit a lot of schools this week! xoxo

C said...

i wear flats all day long close toed to...=(

After over 10 years with the company i work for, i'm still trying to figure out my title, especially now since I had to update my very old resume. I was thinking how much I do at work... a lil here a lil there...even going out my way to feed their dog (which by the way I don't do anymore and it was passed on to someone else who they thought was more dedicated...which i think was more willing to "go out of their way"...I think I would go out of my way if I truly truly enjoyed my job....)

demondoll said...

I LOVE those shoes, especially the Vivienne. I wear flats to work, also am flat broke, but if I rub my pennies together I'm saving for those.
No, wait. I'm getting me the Knoxes from your above post! Sorry, I'm always late to the party...
I agree with you on the job description. I think most bad matches come from either an incomplete job description or from self-denial about the prospective posistion. (Hmmmm, sounds like a marriage I once had.JK, la!)