Saturday, October 04, 2008

My body is NOT a wonderland

I decided to see a chiropractor through a local chiropractic college a few months ago because of my shoulder. I really liked her (she has since graduated and moved back to LA) and was open to her holistic approach because she was really passionate about it without being preachy. The two things she was concerned about was my intake of aspartame and birth control pills. Aspartame has been hard to kick. It's in a lot of things that I like so I'm slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) taking that out of my diet. I am a huge fan of Crystal Light and consume it all day long. So we'll see abut kicking the aspartame. Birth control, on the other hand, is easy. You just stop. I have been on the pill for six years straight, ten years total. I had a one year break after four years because my ex-boyfriend and I broke up. I wasn't doing anything to merit a pregnancy scare and I knew that mixing birth control pills and cigarettes were dangerous. So of course I gave up the birth control. I loved Marlboro Menthol Ultra Lights. (Yes, I have a dreamy look on my face just thinking about it.) But anyway ... back to the chiropractor. She told me that if it was at all possible, I should stop taking the pill because of all the hormones and it's just healthier for my body to stop. Hmm. I thought about it and shared this information with The Man. While we are not trying to have a baby right now, getting pregnant now by accident versus getting pregnant, oh, while I was in college and broke ass, is pretty different. There are other methods of birth control, as well. So the pill and I have broken up.
My body is NOT happy. I have been off the pill for two weeks. This past week my body decided we were fighting and I had cramps for the entire week. Damn. I completely forgot that a wonderful side affect of being on birth control pills was that I stopped having cramps. They used to be so bad in high school that I would go home almost once a month. The school nurse and I were friends ... she knew that I wasn't trying to play her for a fool and I knew that she would only make me lie on that army cot they called a bed for 1/2 hour before letting me go home. I loved my school nurse. In addition to the cramps, I am angry to report that I have found three blemishes on my chin. I call them "blemishes" because it's a damn shame that I'm damn near 30 years of age and breaking out. WHAT THE EFF. This lovely side affect is something I did not forget and knew that my skin would turn on me once I was off the pill. I am not claiming I had a lovely complexion while taking birth control pills but I appreciated the mostly-clear face and am so sad that age has not remedied this problem. So here I am. Cramping steadily for seven days and starting to break out. But, by golly, I don't have any artificial hormones in my body! (I am muttering a bunch of curse words right now. By the way, did you know "the curse" is defined as informal menstruation? First of all, how appropriate. Secondly, what is informal versus formal menstruation?) 
I miss reading blogger and I miss writing. But from what I see, a lot of you have been MIA. What gives? Are you busy with work too? That's my main reason. And the discovery of FaceBook. What another time sucker that thing is ;)

9 comments:

mrs. A said...

I, too have been talking about going off the Pill, but need to confer with my doctor, since I'm on a super low dose (and when I'm not on the Pill, I'm pretty irregular).

Facebook is addicting, sometimes too much. :)

I'd love to do Santana Row!!! So exciting

ElleDee said...

Tel: I love the Motrin and am thinking about getting prescription strength ibuprofens. But I emailed my old chiropractor and she said to take about 3000 mg of Omega-3. It will take about a month for it to truly affect my body but will help me a lot. I understand it's great for a lot of other things. I was taking 1000 mg a day and am just upping my intake.
Jen: I've been on the pill for so long that I think I'm irregular, too, but can't fully remember. I just remember the cramping and break outs! Great, Santana Row, it is! I love that parking is plentiful, to boot.

C said...

My limit is when i'm turning 35. I've been on the pill for quite some time now and I too think its weird to be on the pill for long term use. But there are some advantages to the pill like...lower risk of ovarian cancer if you were or still on the pill. why not try a diaphragm. I remember getting it because i couldn't go on the pill because of my heart, but then i saw my cardiologist and I got my pills! I will probably go back to the diaphragm when 35 and I should stop being on the pill. Diaphragm is not as convenient as the pill. its actually quite confusing, however, it works pretty well and it doesnt hurt your body and you can take in and out. so there you go.. :)

Auntie Sassy said...

First, taking Omega 3 is a good idea for so many reasons. It helps lube your joints, so makes general motion easier on your body. But also, good fat helps fight bad fat, so it is a big deal for people who work out to take Omega 3 as well.

As far as going off the pill, that would really freak me out. Unfortunately, I have PSOS which makes my period VERY irregular (which comes with the territory of not ovulating I suppose). However, I would constantly live in fear that I was pregnant and I can't roll like that. I SHOULD probably quit smoking one of these days though...

*sigh*

demondoll said...

Power Week is a right pain, but I suck down a lot of motrin. I haven't been on the pill in many years, and don't miss it. Also I don't miss acne, but that's because we are still so intimately acquainted :-P

Oh, and I am also a fan of Omega3s. Mmm, salmon.

Kim said...

I stopped taking the pill in 2000 and I don't miss it. In fact, my health has been a lot better without it. However, I have been breaking out like a mofo ever since I turned 30! I had breakouts before, but I swear it went into overdrive the second I hit the bit 3-0. I'm about ready to go see a dermatologist. For realz.

And yes, I haven't blogged in a loooooong time because I've been super swamped with work and planning a friend's wedding. (Which is next week, so hopefully I'll have more free time after that.)

LolaDiana said...

I stopped the pill after Lilo was born... since it didn't help much before he was born! (Thanks pharmacist for not telling me about antibiotics!) I felt like I had no sex drive on the pill. I have an IUD (TMI?) and I love it except for the HEAVY PW bleeding. Plus my libido is back and soooo happy

Anna M said...

Sorry you aren't feeling too well.

I know you probably shouldn't be on any form of BC, but if you decide to go back, you should consider the BC patch. It is so much easier to use!

Feel better!
♥♥♥

Veronica Milan said...

I took the pill for a year before we got married and the day of our wedding I stopped. It happened to end that day too.

I HATE the pill. You think I'm nutso and outspoken with out the pill if you saw me on it...You would run away.

I think a baby is on the way....mmmhmm

I got preggo the month after.... NOT expected. BUT totally NOT upset about it.

:)