Saturday, October 11, 2008

A stone's throw away from 30.

Another incident that made me realize I am welcoming this new milestone in my life (in addition to purchasing TWO pairs of Naturalizer shoes earlier this year) ...

I saw a lady walking to BART wearing white tennis shoes while her sensible heels were tucked away in her bag. Ordinarily, I can't help but pass judgement. Not necessarily about the woman but the style. "Jeezus, that does nothing for her outfit." And then, "I wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing white tennies with a work outfit."

As I get older, though, I notice I am having stronger thoughts about the women traipsing about in spiked / spice girl high heels versus the women in sneakers. Because at least with the women in sneakers, I totally get where where they're coming from. A long time ago, I had been the little 20-something wearing really high and really cute heels. But no more!

Yes, I still have opinions of the unattractiveness of the Easy Spirits over nude pantyhose ensemble. But, if I had to choose, I would begrudgingly pick that over the just-chop-off-my-feet-now-because-I'm-in-so-much-pain high heels. Because I would be limping something terrible by the end of the day. Of course, thinking that it's so much cooler, I have always opted for the flip flops and had my not so sensible heels in my bag. For my job, however, changing from flip flops to heels and then back again multiple times throughout the day just isn't reasonable.

While I am hoping with all my might that I won't become one of them, I am a little uneasy that I fully understand the concept of throwing cuteness to the wind in order to be able to walk comfortably for an entire day.

Will this be me one day?

I didn't realize how much I walked on a daily basis for work until I wore the wrong heels and tore up my feet. My poor toes. I was in so much pain that at the end of the day, I immediately went online and bought the Sofft high heels I had been eyeing but thought to be a little pricey. My feet definitely sent a clear message to me that day and I'm awaiting my stylish yet comfortable Sofft shoes. If you haven't checked this brand out, they have a bigger selection than Naturalizer and Aerosoles of cute shoes.

Yes. This obviously is an important topic for me and required thorough research. I even interrogated a couple of colleagues who told me they had Sofft shoes to ensure that I was making a wise investment. One said, "Seriously, girl. They're like walking on pillows." Yes, Sofft shoes are THAT good. (They should really pay me for this entry.)

5 comments:

mrs. A said...

Oh my gosh... I have a love-hate relationship with sky-high heels. On one hand I love them cause they make me tall and are always super cute (and or sexy) :) But, I know where you're coming from when it comes to comfort shoes.

I've had to expand my shoe collection with an array of comfy, low-heel or no heel shoes due to India's lack of proper walking surfaces. I'm always afraid of getting my heels stuck in the cracks and crevices in the "sidewalks" here (which are really more like random potholes).

But, yeah, there are more choices nowadays for comfy and stylish shoes. Have you looked at Taryn Rose? She's a bit spendy, but very nice on the feet. Also, Cole Haan shoes with the Nike Air soles are some of my faves. :)

Anna M said...

Hello friend! I have missed you!
I apologize for my blog negligence! I am happy because you didn't go blog crazy when I was away! I only have three posts to read versus the other 200 from the rest of my friends!

That means you have a life! Yay!

I must check these out!

I have flat feet and I have to wear some sort of a heel!

Don't worry how you look? When you get older, you will realize comfort takes precedence! Who cares what other people think of you? The people who love you know you as you are!

Auntie Sassy said...

LD...oh how I love you for so many reasons, but right now for bringing up this very important topic.

First, let me just say that I'm already 30 and still of the mind set that you do NOT ever...ever, ever, ever...sacrafice style for comfort. I'm kind of a fashion whore like that.

However, Dr. Scholls gel inserts have saved my life...or at least my disposition. I'm gel'in and not afraid to say it.

I've also discovered Naot shoes. Some are kind of gross, but they also have some super cute little ditties. I bought these and I could pretty much run a marathon in them:
http://www.naot.com/cgi_images/full/90010.jpg

You keep fighting the good fight sister...and keep people throwing suggestions my way. My feet thank you.

demondoll said...

I don't know about tennies w/ a work outfit, but then I have pictures of me not only wearing Jeezus combat sandals (Tevas), but with SOCKS. My only excuse is that I was post-partum, but my mom squad still mocks me. At least I remembered lipstick...

I am going to check out Sofft, because retail is killing mah feet.

C said...

girl!!!!! i changed my shoes 2 years ago!!!!!! man..i KNEW it was a sign of "maturity" when i glanced at the oh so comfy close toed shoes by some brand name only my mom would wear when she was a nurse.

It sux for me also because at a lab...i cannot wear any open toed shoes...we can wear high heels but that doesnt last long when you're walking up and down all day long...so most of the girls will get sensible flats. which i have grown to love.

My feet HATE me after like 4 hours in heels at the lab and man i look at it..who the heck cares what shoes i got on at the lab..im in gawd-awful scrubs that are not form fitting...and a lab coat too big for me because i'm so dang small...hair always has to be tied back and away from my face with like goggles on and latex gloves....there is NOTHING SEXY...hahahahha

but on my days off..I do it up though!!! I miss those days....Its really hilarious trying to see youngin girls trying to look cute ALL THE TIME...they the lord i'm passed that!