Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A different kind of Christmas

After being together for six years, this will be The Man's and my first Christmas together. With his family living roughly 2 1/2 hours away, it made it impossible to be able to see both families on the same day - so we've always separated. This year we will be together. This makes me happy because Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. Ever.
It probably has a lot to do with my Daddy who loves him some Christmas. And my mom, who is not a big holiday person, just goes along for the ride with her two crazy Christmas fanatics. Anyway, this is also my first Christmas (ever) away from my parents. And I feel funny about it. I also will miss being with Sister, The Boy and WGD this year but we've already has Christmases apart. It's hard to explain because it's not like they were ever truly gung ho about it. The decorations consisted simply of a Christmas tree and lights outside. My dad even stopped cooking so we would pre order a Christmas meal from a local grocery store. But even though Christmas at my parents' house is really low key, being with them is all I know.
So I'm a little sad. What's funny is I probably am thinking way more it than my parents! They're not overly sentimental folks. And I don't want The Man to take it the wrong way because I love him very, very much.
Anyway, I'm still very much looking forward to Christmas and I am very happy to be with The Man during my most favorite time of the year. I know that we will create new Christmas traditions ... like two Christmas trees! :) I just wish I could "have my cake and eat it too" and be with my family, as well.

4 comments:

Auntie Sassy said...

I know how you feel sweetie. My first Christmas away from my folks happened right after I moved to SF. It is hard because, regardless of how you celebrate, not being with your family just feels wrong.

However, since then I have developed new traditions and it has gotten a little easier. I still prefer having my Mommy and Daddy around, but having a special night with my Joely is nice too. ;)

Veronica Milan said...

Yes, I agree. So sad. I had Thanksgiving away from Albert this year...and that sucked for me.

mrs. A said...

LD, I know what you mean... I think all couples go through this at one point or another and either way you slice it, it sucks. I wish I could be with my family during the holidays each year, but I've had to learn to compromise. :( hehe

This year, we had a very low-key Christmas at home, just A and me... and it was nice. We didn't have a tree, but I did hang up 2 stockings in our room and that was enough for this year. :)

And it's fun to start new traditions!

demondoll said...

We missed you, but I know how important it was to Mr. to see his side of the family, too!