Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Out cold (kind of) last week.

Wow. That bug going around is a DOOZIE.
Two Sundays ago, The Man and I took Christmas pictures. That afternoon, he was a sweaty mess. The next day, I had a lighter version (a distant cousin of the Man's virus, perhaps?) that knocked me off my feet. In a bad way.
In one part of the house, we had The Man trying to break his fever, hacking and coughing and cuddling the heater in the living room ... and no, I'm not exaggerating. He was curled up as close to the heater as possible that I was worried he would singe some part of his clothing. He was sweating like no other but felt really cold. He also didn't want to soak through the sheets (again) or get me sick so he opted to sleep in the living room, spooning the heater. I felt so bad for him but couldn't take care of him because, in the other part of the house, I was stuffed up, trying to sleep off what I think I had a cold which later turned into the flu. At first, I thought it was manageable. What's a cold, right? Except when I drove around for work that Monday, I felt like I had taken doses of drowsy night time medication. Which I hadn't. I had coffee and everything but I felt drugged and couldn't shake it off. And it got worse each day.
The kicker is that his mom and little brother had planned to stay with us Tuesday through Friday because she was getting medical treatment in the Bay Area. I'm sure my poor mother in law (and it probably wasn't that great for his little brother) was not excited to see that we were both sick, especially since she was easily suseptible to illness. She ended up making us two types of soup while she was here and asked the bare minimum of us because we were so sick. She was pretty awesome. And the little brother entertained himself with video games. Pheww!
And my birthday ... oh, what an uneventful day that was! On top of being sick, I lost three accounts that day. So professionally, I was already in a bad mood. In addition to that, I had four client meetings all over the East Bay, in Pleasanton, Alameda and Berkeley. I felt so crappy that I rescheduled the first and last meeting of the day to be over the phone so I wouldn't spread my sickness. (I couldn't help the other two appointments - hope I didn't infect them!) People asked me, "Where is your hubby taking you for your big day?" NOWHERE. I just wanted to pass out in a NyQuil and Theraflu haze. I know, probably slightly dangerous but I was congested and just plain miserable.
I adore Christmas and normally seize the opportunity to decorate the house all holiday-like. We didn't have a tree until Sunday because we were in no condition all last week to get one. While we felt better by last Sunday, we still weren't the picture of perfect health and he and I were a dizzy and sweaty mess by the time we bought it, set it up and decorated it. We actually needed a nap.
Now today, Tuesday, we're both much better. Well, The Man woke me up with his hacking and coughing but I'm hoping that it's just residue and not a relapse. Ahhhhhh ... stupid bug. I also hauled rear end yesterday to get out our greeting cards, over 200 because I also sent them out for work!! Boo. I feel so behind on the holidays. Not to mention, I feel a little jipped from at least a week of waking up to beautiful Christmas cheer. But I'm determined to enjoy the time we have left and am even on the search of keeping with tradition and trying to find a mini Douglas Fir for our bedroom. As The Man likes to mention, if something happens once (like getting two Christmas trees for my birthday last year) and I happen to like it, it now becomes TRADITION. Who doesn't want to wake up to the soft glow of Christmas lights, the smell of a little Christmas tree and little puppies cuddling with you in the morning? (Because he gets up a little earlier than me, The Man lets our puppies out of the kitchen so I can wake up to puppy kisses, or being stepped on by puppies, each morning:)

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Awesome. We are free the 26&27 Depends on if, we do Christmas with Albert's side on the 25th, if not we are free that day too. :)

My sister owes me a day of babysitting....okay, 1/2 day. We can do dinner and a movie (I'd like to see that brad pitt movie) Let me know....

ElleDee said...

We want to reserve the 26th! Consider it taken

demondoll said...

Awww, poor Sister! I was illin' too, so I completely sympathize :-(

I'm glad you're on the mend!!! xoxoxo