Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An update

Oh, I have neglected my precious blog! Damn that harlot called Facebook. But it's such instant gratification and low maintenance ... so tempting and such a quick fix.
I haven't had anything to write about lately so I've been avoiding the blog. Then I realized, uh, duh. Yes I do.
People, The Man and I are in escrow.
This is what I wrote to a friend after she found out we were buying a house and was super excited for us:
"We have seen so many homes and my heart has been broken only once by a home :P I learned my lesson after that and don't fall in love with houses anymore! We found this house and put an offer. There are things I love about it - new, good neighborhood, close to my parents, spacious but comfortable enough for me to clean (the older homes we were looking at were a lot bigger and, truthfully, intimidating when I thought about how I would be able to keep it up), tiny yard for us to practice our extremely limited gardening skills, and centrally located in my work territory. The cons are that it's not in our ideal location, it's two story and our preference is one, The Man still has to commute and the land it's on is kind of itty bitty. Oh, and HOA fees! Big boo to that. But we know we are so blessed to even be able to have a first home and know that this will be a great starter home. Hmm, I write that and think I should maybe delete it b/c watch us be there when we retire! Hahaha:) The plan is that we would like to move in 6 years to another city but we'll see. I really like this house and know that we can make it a great home. Especially with personal touches like having beautiful pictures from our wedding displayed!"
Obviously I was writing to our wedding photographer.
We are supposed to have the keys to the house by the end of the month. But Sister warned me not to count anything as a done deal until the keys are actually in our hand. We will also have to cut back quite a bit on luxuries. So if I ask, "Hey! Want to meet for a cup of water?" well, just know that I at least want to see you. We are also wondering how the heck we will furnish the house as it will cause us a pretty penny. Let's be real, thousands of dollars :( So we will definitely have a spacious (bare) home for a while. But by golly, we are going to have a home to call our own very soon. This is the biggest decision we have made since we got married and, oh boy, it's a big one.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

SUPER EXCITED for you both!!! Good luck!!!

ElleDee said...

Thanks Mimi, I really appreciate it :)

jen said...

Congrats! :) You're going to have so much fun putting all the personal touches to your new home(!) Wow, don't we all sound so grown up??? :) I can just see the 2 pups scampering around their new digs, deciding which room is going to be their favorite! :) Very happy for you and The Man.

Kim said...

Awesome...congrats! So we still have that desk if you want it. I'll see if Ryan can send me pics so I can send to you.

riderant (ha!)

Auntie Sassy said...

Hurray LD! You are an inspiration to me and my home-renting ass. Perhaps I'll have to email you and get counsel on all of the ins and outs. I think the reason we haven't even begun the process is because it's just too GD scary for me.

As far as furnishing, you should totally keep an eye out on Craig's list and thrift stores. I'm always amazed at the treasures I find where I least expect them. ;)

Unknown said...

YAAAAYYY! Congrats cousins! That's so exciting. Hope you have a spare bedroom for me to come visit and play! hehe :D It's always about me, isn't it?? Can't wait to see pics!