Monday, September 25, 2006

HAPPY BIRFDAY, SISSER!!

(Lucky for both of us, I have no soft copies of our childhood pictures!)

Demondoll's birthday is today. She is my best friend. When I was little, she was the "fun one" in the family. Unlike most older sisters, she took me almost everywhere she went. She was maternal way before she had a baby. Of course, I have to tell you about just how feisty my sister is to celebrate the day of her birth.

When I was five or six, I was the smallest kid in my class. I might as well have worn a "Kick Me" sign on my back. The second smallest girl, of course, felt the need to pick on me. More than twenty years later, I still remember her name. It was Valerie.

Maybe it was a week but it felt like months. Every day I would come home and tell Sister how she would pick on me. Valerie turned my friends against me, said mean things to me and behind my back, took things from my desk and hid them, and once, had the nerve to push me. I remember when I came home and told Sister about that. I think after hearing story after story about Valerie, my Sister thought enough was enough. She gave me "tough love." Sister basically told me that I better stand up for myself. Yes, mom said she would punish me if I got into trouble. But so what? "You had better shove her back if she shoves you or I don't want to hear it anymore" Sister said. I didn't know what to think. I was five years old and my Sister was telling me to go again what Mommy said. After she gave me a-talkin'-to, Sister gave me a hug, told me that she loved me and she just doesn't want someone to keep being mean to her little sister.

I don't remember the details. But Sister told me that the next day, Valerie pushed me again. Keeping in mind my sister's advice, I pushed Valerie back. Hard. And she fell back. In a puddle. In her faux fur white coat. That's what she gets for wearing a tacky article of clothing. My teachers told my mom who scolded me when I got home. Again, I don't remember the details but I'm betting that my Sister gave me a big hug and either took me to the movies or bought me an accessory for my Barbie to let me know I done good.

Over twenty years later, Sister still gives pretty great advice. And she is a very very cool Sister. She is loving, sweet and wonderful. But she also knows when to whoop some ass.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
SISTER!!!!

5 comments:

Couch potato said...

Yeah for good big sister's and for being able to whoop some ass sometimes.

demondoll said...

And that little hooker Valerie had it coming.

Thank you for the splendid book! It made me scream with laughter and cringe with recognition of events from our upbringing. WGD and I were crying we laughed so hard!
I love you so much! I could never ask for a better sister. You were the sunshine of my days when you were a child, and you still make every day brighter!xoxoxoxo

Kim said...

Aw, how cute! Happy birthday, D-doll!

I do have to say how disturbing it is that a 5-year-old was already talking behind people's backs and taking things from their desks. I bet she grew up to be not-so-nice.

aolsxs

Auntie Sassy said...

AW! What a good big sister! Happy Birthday Demondoll!

demondoll said...

Thanks, Auntie Sassy!
Lulu never did become friends with stinky V. But she did make plenty of better friends!
:)