Sunday, September 10, 2006

J to the O to the B

I didn't know what I should write. But I can't be a hypocrite because I hate, HATE, it when y'all don't update your blogs. (You're my entertainment, dam-mit.)

I decided to write about something that I usually stay away from (so as to avoid any outcome similar to Dooce's.) But it is what I do for 9-10 hours of my day - WORK.

What am I?
A staffing manager.

What does that mean?
Marketing, recruitment, and sales of temporary, temporary-to-permanent, and direct hire staffing.

What does that really mean?!
This is the MOST interaction I've had with the greatest amount of people on a daily basis. In all my other jobs, I've always worked with people (unlike, say, a data entry position which I had and only lasted three weeks before I quit.) But it was usually the same people with a handful of new folks that I would meet from time to time. At my job now, between recruits and companies, I meet (or at least, talk with) a large group of people every single work day on top of the colleagues I work with daily.

I love to talk. But the energy it takes to be "on" all the time can thoroughly exhaust a person. And it's not like I can take a break because there are goals I have to obtain daily, weekly and quarterly. For the most part, I've adapted. The job, above all, has taught me to how to maximize the most out of my time (and there still isn't enough hours in a work day!) This job is about goals, money, and tons of interpersonal communication.

Obviously, I'm not shy. I definitely have "bashful tendencies" but I would still describe myself as an outgoing person. After all, I am Miss Comm. Major! But even I am often out of my comfort zone when I'm at work. I truly wonder how anyone shy could do this job when even I feel awkward at times. I came into it having no background in sales but I have been wanting to try sales for a long time. If anything, just for the experience because I think it's necessary in order to be a good business woman.

But, as I mentioned before, I am spent when I get home. I hardly talk to family or friends. I found that the best thing for me to do is sit on the couch with The Man and watch episodes of "24" while I knit. The Man, not being much of a talker himself and also dealing with a great amount of stress at work, has found comfort in our routine. We may sound 50 years old but WE ARE HAPPY.

Does it sound like I don't like my job? That's not the case. It's certainly challenging, though, because it's something brand new to me. And, without sounding like an ass, I'm used to being one of the best. Not necessarily #1 but definitely on fire. And here I am, this rookie, working with colleagues who hit their goals and bring in the dough. Of course, I knew this coming into the job. In fact, it's why I took it.

When I was in college, I realized that the best way to kick ass in my classes was to surround myself with people better than me. Not only were most of them naturally brilliant and had a great work/study ethic but they made me do my best so that we were equal. F*ck that, I wasn't going to be the stupid one in the group. So I adapted the same philosophy when I looked for a new career. I wanted to be part of a group that rocked because I would get better faster.

The problem is that when you have that competitive nature (like me,) even when you just want to be equal and not necessary the best (like me,) you tend to come down on yourself hard when you don't progress as fast as you would like (like me.) Right now, I wish I was doing better. So I've made it a vow to work longer hours, even if it's just an hour more a day and a couple of hours more once a week. Why? Because after talking to a few people who are ranked the best in the company internationally, all of them said being successful can't be done within 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

"But what about the Work/Life Balance I was promised?" I cried in my head.

Well, I weighed my options. I could do OK and work the standard 8 to 5. Or I could just put in a little more time. Considering that many of my friends who are in Sales have to travel and work weekends, working one more hour a day isn't all that bad. Plus, I already don't want to talk when I get home so what's one more hour at work?

I have a goal to make a certain amount of money by the time I'm 30 years old. And as long as my relationships with my family, boyfriend and friends remain in tact, I'm willing to work myself a little harder to get there. Is it my forever job? I don't know. But I've also made a promise to myself to give it at least two years.

Plus, a gal can still dream of being the traffic reporter in Hawaii.

15 comments:

demondoll said...

You have always had an excellent work ethic, and your leadership skills are just as good. The only thing I have ever feared is that your sense of duty and loyalty would keep you someplace you weren't happy. But thankfully, you are strong enough to kick dead weight to the curb!

I'd say not to be too hard on yourself, but that's part of what makes you so great... drive and plenty of direction!

demondoll said...

Also, I don't feel neglected.

Much ;)

Couch potato said...

good for you that you want to be the best. Hey if you live in Hawaii I will come visit you :)

ElleDee said...

Sister: Aww, I hope you don't feel unloved!!! And that was very nice of you to say, thank you :*
Tater: You most definitely should visit me if I move to Hawaii!

demondoll said...

Are you joking??? I feel sooo loved!
Also I expect a room when I visit you in Hawaii.

Kim said...

On a totally unrelated note, are you still in love with The Rock? Saw a commersh for his new movie the other day and it made me think of you. And Angela. "I have to wake up to The Rock every morning!"

VS said...

Damn, girl, you write a lot for not having anything to write!!!

I'm sorry I often don't update my blog...please don't hate, hate, HATE me.

As for work, people are exhausting! Not everyone understands how draining it is just to talk to multiple people in the course of a day. Plus to have to concentrate and calculate and stay sober and have work ethic and shit. I don't know how any of us do it. Yet I'm an aimless wandering zombie when I'm not doing it. I think I was farmed in the drone quadrant of the Matrix...

Unknown said...

For the last 4 years or so I've been totally focused on my career, going back to school, and climbing the corporate ladder. I'm lucky; my previous boss really made it a smooth ride. Before I met and fell in love with my honey, all I wanted to do was have a career. Be a career. But after I found P I realized that my career is not what I want my life to be. I want to develop amazing skills (I'm in sales now, too! Hey girl!) and I'm coming to the realization that I am someone who will, in a year or so, be able to choose a job because I want it, not take a job because I need it. And if, when I get married next year, I want to stop working and have a baby....well...that's absolutely OK and it doesn't make me any less of a career woman or any less driven and determined.

demondoll said...

Yes, Piggy also has the work ethic in spades. Me, I think I am allergic to responsiblity. I once called in sick because I cried to hard during "Truly,Madly,Deeply" and gave myself a migraine.

Pati Poblete said...

Thanks for buying my book...hope you like it!!!

ElleDee said...

Kim: While The Man is my first love, The Rock is a guilty pleasure WHICH The Man supports! He took me to Scorpion King b/c he knew how much I liked The Rock. Unfortunately, it was a stinker of a movie. How psyched am I that the stuff I bought when he was a wrestler is worth way more now, though!?!
VS: Yes, I have a gift of being able to say a lot about nothing :P Write more often and I'll be fine ;)
Tel: As long as you're happy, that's all that matters!
Sister: You've been in charge of another life for the past six years! If that's not responsible, I don't know what is.

Veronica said...

Tell the man no worries the hubby said we are booked as well. We would like to go see ya guys the third week of Oct. We have to ask his parents first. I have class the next 2 Sat. and My sister is getting married the first weekend of Oct, the following weekend we are taking baby to the fair. But the next weekend Albert & I want to see you guys. :)

Veronica said...

Yeah, I'm working on a presentation/paper. :O

demondoll said...

Is there even traffic in Hawaii? Joking only!

smfuhd

ElleDee said...

Oh there's traffic. And crazy ass ex boss told me that it was hilarious to watch a cop chase. They would just go around and around and around.
And around.