Friday, April 06, 2007

I heart my new job

It's been a busy few days. It was my first week at the new J-O-B. It is such a change from my former rat race of a job. It's even different from my other non-profit fund raising position with the Y. But just because this new position is so different doesn't make it a bad thing.
So far, so good. I like what I'm learning, the people are very nice, the office is pretty (I didn't know how much aesthetics meant to me until my last job - I know, it seems like I'm slamming it but it's so true) and I like my little office space. I'm in store for a lot of training but I don't feel overwhelmed. And you know when you get a good feeling about something, like it just feels right?
On my first day we had a branch meeting and I found out that the company gives Good Friday off. No way, really? I just came from a place that didn't give New Year's Eve or the day after Thanksgiving off. And this company gives Good Friday off?! Then I found out that my region of the company met its goal so we were being rewarded with Thursday off, too. On my first week I get a four-day weekend?!?!?!?! You bet your hot tuckus I was excited!
I know that non-profit isn't as lucrative as for-profit. Believe me, I know. But it is rewarding. I've also learned that it makes such a difference when a company appreciates its employees. It also makes a difference when a company is conservative with its money but still recognizes and rewards good work.
After being at a job that made me feel like I was running on a hamster wheel, it's nice to be able to breathe. I know that no job is perfect. I'm 100% that there will be some things that will tick me off about my job. But I also know that my previous experience has made me appreciate good employers and good companies.

7 comments:

demondoll said...

I love that you love your new job!!! And I bet they heart you, too. Because how could they not? You are fantabulous!

Veronica said...

Yeah for new jobs...even better...you like it the new job!!

Couch potato said...

woohoo for Good Friday off I too got the day and it was so nice. I am glad you are enjoying your day off.

ElleDee said...

Sister - thank you, as always, for the support! xo
Pooks - I do, I do! Hope you enjoyed Pismo Beach!
Tel - Thanks again, girlfriend. Sorry we haven't been able to connect. Jon broke his hand and things have been just chaotic. I think I will try calling you at work since we ARE talking business!
Cyn - So true! I've been lucky enough to like my coworkers at almost all my jobs. Only one that I can think of only and it's just b/c there were less than 10 people in the company (and I didn't hit it off with the 20-somethings.)
Tater - thank you! Four day weekends are the BOMB.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again! A 2 week vacation PLUS a 4 day weekend? I'm jealous! :) Glad to hear your enjoying the new job! Is Jon ok? Hope he gets well soon. Kisses to the girls. See you soon? BTW, never made it to Gilroy. :(

White Ghost Devil said...

Already slackin off! Just kidding. I'm happy you're happy.

Veronica said...

What?? Jon-jon broke his hand? How's he to pleasure himself now...hope it was the right one. Since he is a lefty. ;) hehehe I kid!
Hope he is fine. Wishing him "get better soon" vibes. :D