Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ay. Ay! What's yo' name?

I am 28 years old. Sometimes I forget because I feel like I'm 25. I think it's because I was in school until I was 24. (I believe college keeps a person feeling young. Ask my ex. I digress.)
Today I realized that I'm a hop, skip and jump away from 30. And I don't think that's old - it's just that I won't be in my 20s anymore. It's weird.
So I was driving in a sketchy part of Oakland in my mom's Oldsmobile (my car is out of comission right now.) I'm stuck at a light when I hear,
"Ay. Ay! What's yo' name?"
Normally, this really turns me off. Seriously, what woman thinks, "Yes, yes. FINALLY. A man who knows how to court a woman" or "This guy would make a great baby's daddy." (OK, there may be some women who think this.)
I pause for a second, wondering what I should do. I don't normally like to converse with strangers who shout at me in my car while they are in their car but it's a light and we may be there for a while. So I decide to look over.
"My friend wants to talk to you!" says the passenger.
The driver leans over so I can see both the passenger and him.
They look like wee children.
I stare at the driver and ask, "How old are you?"
"15!"
Of course they are. "Guys, I'm 28 years old."
"Are you married?"
Not wanting to deal with the stupid line, 'Age ain't nothin' but a number', I say, "Yes."
"Oh." Pause. "You have a nice car!"
People, I was driving my mom's 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora. It is a tank.
"Thanks. It's kind of for old people. But thanks." I fight back to end with 'Sonny.' "Well, you guys have a nice day" and I make my right hand turn.
These boys were almost half my age. They could have been posterchildren for Clearasil. I'm not flattered. I'm not disgusted.
I'm almost 30.
So teenage boys, step off.

4 comments:

demondoll said...

It's nice when the younguns take an interest! I think... um, maybe no...
I especially love that the boys were loving on Mom's hurkin' tank. That is precious.

Couch potato said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Couch potato said...

I have a 3 year old boy in my class who tells me about 20 times a day he loves me and he kisses my hand so I know where you are coming from. Little boys step off.

Kim said...

Oooo, I had the same experience as couch potato, but with an 8-year-old boy when I was a day camp counselor (so I was about 19). He even asked me if I knew what "do it" means. Ah, out of the mouth of babes...