Monday, June 25, 2007

Old School Daddy, part II

Oh my gosh, my sister reminded me of ANOTHER story about our dad!
When I first started driving, I drove a 1989 GMC Jimmy and it always needed to be serviced. My parents, particularly my Mom, didn't trust me driving any of the "good" cars so I was only allowed to borrow my dad's beat up 1990 pick-up truck. This is the car my dad used to drive to work every day to and from Richmond. It logged a lot of miles and had many dings and dents. My mom figured I couldn't do much more damage than what had already been done.
Anyhow, during one of the times my car was getting serviced, I had to drive my dad's truck to school. No biggie, it got the job done. So, just like the many times before, I drove it to San Francisco when, on this one particular day, I had to hit the brakes really hard to avoid hitting a car that cut me off. Luckily Toyota makes good trucks with good brakes.
But imagine my surprise when this object shoots out between my legs and hits the gas and brake pedals.
It's a freakin' Machete!!!!! Or, if you're Filipino, a damn BOLO knife! I nearly had a heart attack. Yes, it was in it's holster but c'mon. If you aren't expecting something like that to whiz between your feet, it's a surprise! Sweet Mary, I remember yelling at my dad when I got home and he just chuckled.
He forgot he kept it under his seat in his car. See, during his younger days, he kept it there should someone ever punk him and he needed to protect himself. Plus, I'm not sure if he had a gun license.
Yes, seriously.
Think about it. The man worked in Richmond for over 20 years. It KIND of makes sense.
Oh Daddy.

3 comments:

demondoll said...

I remember during the "gas wars" in the 70's, Daddy and I were at the gas station, and it looked like someone was going to pick a fight on Daddy. So Daddy got out a knife not unlike the picture, and the other fella backed down. Oh, yes, the station attendant I think had a gun. Good times in Hayseed, I tell ya. Good times.

C said...

LOL.. my dad keeps one too..not in the car but he keeps one in the toolshed for I don't know what. Hopefully to just chop some thick banana leaf branches. My dad would use his car as a weapon. Oh the stories.

Your dad is so cute i can't imagine him so hard core.

demondoll said...

Tel is right- WR is not genteel!
LOL, C... thick banana leaf branches! It's like our Dad needed the knives for just in case the eggplant didn't just drop off the vines.