Saturday, January 17, 2009

Irony ... stupidity?

As I write on this blog that is WIDE OPEN to the internet, I realize that there is quite an irony to my entry. Here's the thing ... I have this short-term memory, I think. There was a reason I got my ass off of Friendster. Then I wasn't so active on MySpace. And now there's Facebook. That damn thing is addicting. We all know why - you can peek into people's lives without talking to them (yes, voyeurism) as well as reconnect with people you drifted away from and just another way to keep an already strong relationship. Great, right? Right.
Well, because I'm not completely mentally disabled (to what extent I AM disabled, I'm not sure) I won't go into the specific incident and it's nothing big but I realize now that I like NOT being connected to everyone that has come in and out of my life. I know that I can be dramatic (or as the Filipinos like to call it - OA) but I sincerely think I'm pretty good about keeping drama out of my life. Sure, I like to observe it every so often because, well, it makes thing lively. But I keep my circle very small so I don't have it IN my life. I don't mean to be ironic. Or is it contrary? Or just effin' complicated? See, I am a friendly person. I like meeting with people and chatting with folks. But I also like to keep things compartmentalized. And I like to keep a routine and I like no drama IN my routine. Anyway, thanks to my friendliness and thanks to Facebook, it's not exactly that way anymore. Nothing big happened, but I thought, "Maybe I should delete my FB account." I know, it's only as personal as you make it so I could put absolutely nothing personal about me on it. But it's also the self-restraint that I do NOT possess and that I look up people that I should avoid.
Ahhh, I don't know. Still thinking about what to do.

7 comments:

Veronica Milan said...

oy! hmmm? Keep it. just block those that don't belong in your business. :D

ElleDee said...

Oh, it's complicated. People know people. People see you on one page and not on another ... very hard if not impossible to block certain folk w/o them KNOWING. Which, of course, begs the question, why do you care? Why SHOULD you care? And then, there leaks in some dram-ma! Poo!!

mrs. A said...

I'm also thinking of making my blog private. :) Maybe we're all going through this 30s crisis??

ElleDee said...

Maybe! I think we're growing a little older, wiser and ... paranoid :) All I ask is that you put me on your invited readers list!!

demondoll said...

I think you should stay on FB because you have had sucha good time getting reacqquainted. But definitely restrict access to those you really want. If you don't accept(block them- it just looks like you "haven't gotten to" their request yet. xoxoxo

ElleDee said...

Oh. My. Goodness. It must be a sign (then again, I do visit at least two handfuls of blogs so it may have just been the odds were in my favor.) Both Happy Slip and Momversation covered the topic of TOO MUCH FACEBOOK!! Glad to know I'm not exactly over thinking things and that it can be, umm, a bit much. I have both links on my blog if you want to check them out ;)

C said...

you know with my history of being social on the internet for many years, I've gotten into some dumb lame drama and sometimes scary...but good times too...

I keep my FB, myspace and all that other ish to a minimum now.. meaning i keep my profile so minimal that i dont even want ppl. to know my bday or what I really look like.

Same with my blogs and photos...Keep it bc you know you want to.=)