Thursday, January 01, 2009

Goodbye 2008 ... Why helllllo there, 2009!

This blog was started before my birthday. And then I got sick. And then Christmas beat me over with a stick. And then I got lazy and procrastinated. So here we are, kicking off 2009 - with a late, leftover entry :)

In 2008, a couple of big things happened. I got married! I completed one year in my job! (I didn't think this was a big feat until my last job which I hated a mere few months after I started - so now I celebrate completing a year.) I turned the bit 3-0! Let's start with that, shall we?

Sure, being in my 20s and looking kind of young always felt like a handicap in the "real world." I was seen as a kid at times and I hated it. Before anyone slaps me, please know that I have a new appreciation for looking youthful and now treasure it. I also realize that when I make a dumb ass decision now, versus back in my 20s, I'm now going to be seen as just a dumb ass adult instead of being dismissed as being a naive kid or young adult. Just as well.

Oh my goodness ... getting married TO THE RIGHT GUY FOR ME was such a fantastic time in my life. People will ask me, "Do you like being married?" and I feel like I have to add a little detail because, yes, I like being married to The Man. But it wasn't like I was ready to take the first proposal tossed at me. And being a serial monogamist, I have been in a previous relationship that wasn't healthy for either one of us. If my ex and I had gotten married, we would either be in years of counseling (best scenario ... no really, BEST), divorced, or in a terrible marriage and cheating on each other (worst scenario ... and pretty realistic.) Getting married was not a goal. Getting married to The Man was absolutely something I really wanted and feel very blessed that we stumbled upon each other and worked. So having what ended up to be the wedding of my dreams last year was awesome. It probably helped that we were on vacation for two weeks in one of my most favorite places and we had a total of three weeks off from our day to day schedules. It was all around a wonderful and memorable time and my favorite of 2008.

Have I accomplished everything I wanted to do by the time I turned 30? What DID I want to do?

Depending upon which part in my 20s someone would have asked me, the answer regarding my career would have been different. I never dreamed of working in non-profit and fund raising. But when I tried something other than that I realized that this is where I belong. I found out quickly that I was not up to event planning or broadcasting (even though I had three internships and a degree in that field.) Or Sales. Although I am very happy professionally, in terms of my career, I would have to say no, I haven't accomplished what I wanted to do by now. Because, at 30, I would have really liked to already have discovered where my passion lies ... then I could say if I wanted to be in upper management. Or in human resources. Or be in marketing. But at least being in the right industry is a good start. But I need to discover what my passion is so I can steer my career in a clearer direction.

I'm happy that I found the person I'm supposed to be with and started a life with him. I didn't consider it a goal to be married by 30 but I think it was just an expectation that I had. Like graduating from high school. I expected that I would have found the right guy by this time. Wonder if I put more or less pressure on myself? In any case, lucky for me, it happened. Not because I think it's bad to be single. But because I'm a TERRIBLE dater. I hate dating! It was so painful for me.

That pesky yet relevant yearly resolution regarding weight. Oh boy. Well, what's funny is that I'm much more comfortable in my skin now than when I was younger. And I was definitely thinner in my early and mid 20s. Well, it's like this. I wish I had appreciated what I had looked like when I was younger. And I have always done something - hula, yoga, personal training. But I found myself not motivated enough to work out during a period of time last year, using my busy work schedule as an excuse in mid August, September and October. It got to a point where I was disgusted with myself because I wasn't doing ANYTHING. I had been interested in this particular boot camp close to my house but put it off. And put it off. I finally checked it out. I've been going for over two months and it is the best thing I've done for my health and well being in a very long time. Of course, I hope that I will slim down as a result of working hard in boot camp! So while I am content with my body and health, I am in the PROCESS of being where I want to be :)

As for the other things like buying a home or traveling more when I was younger, a little part of me does wish I had done those things in my 20s. But I had/have a happy life. I'm really quite content. I don't think I have any true regrets other than appreciating more the time I had with all the people that I love. It's taken me some time to live in the moment and not wish for things I don't have. That's probably the only thing I would do over.

So hello 2009! I hope you're as good to me as your sista-girl, 2008. Feel free to even be better ... if you want :)

PS: We are putting off taking down our Christmas decorations until this weekend. The Man commented that it feels like we had just put them up! That's what happens when we get sick for a week. Effin' Flu.

3 comments:

demondoll said...

30 years ago, the best thing happened. I got a wonderful person in my life who turned out to be on of me very best friends.

I admire you so much for everything you've accomplished, and for all that you are to your friends and family- a supportive, kind, funny, generous-hearted friend who is loyal and honest!!!!!

mrs. A said...

Yay for 2008 (getting married and having a great job you enjoy and all that other fun stuff you did). But, I know 2009 will be an even better year for you and the hubby! :)

Looking forward to hearing all your stories and seeing more fun pics of your life (and of the pups!). Hopefully, we'll get to catch up in person this year, too!!!

ElleDee said...

Sister, you are so so sweet. You are one of those genuinely happy people that look for the good in everything and anything (our cousin Tiff is a lot like that too!) I am very lucky to have a Sister/Best Friend aka Sista Girl (b/c I know you LOVE that!) in you.
Mrs A - our lives have definitely taken on so many paths since OUR paths crossed. I look forward to all the many times they will reconnect (well, in person!) in the future ;)