Friday, March 07, 2014

19 week update and a mama's love ... and anxiety

I mean to post on Monday and time just got away from me. Now it's Friday!
First thing's first. Here are some ultrasound photos of The Bean:

Left foot
Cutest profile I've seen since 2009;)
Confirmation that The Bean is a BOY. Confused by all the shapes? Then just believe me, he's a HE.
As for The Bun, well, we're approaching yet another milestone - KINDERGARTEN. Specifically, Transitional Kindergarten because she doesn't turn 5 years old until October. We moved to our new home (downsized yet paid more) because we are now in a great school district. The designated home school is one of the best in this district. The good news is that The Bun is guaranteed a spot in TK. The part that gives me anxiety is that we don't know if she will be put in the morning or afternoon program. Morning is extremely popular because parents who work (like us!) prefer that program. Figuring out after school child care is a lot easier than figuring out where to have her before school and who's going to pick her up after school because she'll get out early afternoon.
I'm a planner. I may not be as organized as my more savvy Type-A sisters but I'm a planner, nevertheless. If there was a way I could make sure she got into morning TK, I would do it. But it appears that this decision is done in an arbitrary fashion. I did my best to get her ahead of the crowd - I enrolled her online as soon as it became available to us. I then called the school (rather than waiting for them to call me) to schedule an appointment to finish the enrollment in person, as specified by the district. But it doesn't matter. A kid who registers months later could be put in the morning while The Bun could be placed in the afternoon class. I know we could figure it out if we had to but I don't want to struggle if at all necessary!
Anyway, I completed her enrollment the first day we were allowed. Now I wait until May (seriously?!) to find out what class my baby is in. Sure, some people can easily say not to worry about it, it's out of my hands. I certainly don't let it keep me up at night but I'm a) a planner and b) a person who digs immediate gratification. The fact that I can't relax knowing we're good to go because she's been assigned to the morning class NOR do I have confirmation that I must plan for the fall if she gets put in the afternoon class drives me crazy. I can't just call day care providers and put her on a waiting list that requires a deposit unless I know for sure. Oh, you bet that I'm c) I'm very impatient.
Yes, yes, it will all work out. It always does. I would just rather know NOW.
I figured out a long time ago that this is part of the joys of motherhood. Oh, sure, life is definitely unpredictable. But nothing jarred my way of thinking, making me realize that I have very little control of my life and that there is not enough planning in the world until I had a baby.
Very little control. Like, itty bitty. If that.

1 comment:

mrs. A said...

yay for boys! and healthy babies! and first photos! :)
All so very exciting and awesome.

Oh man, I can't imagine having to wait till May to find out and plan a schedule. I'm right there with ya. It'd drive me bonkers.