Monday, March 24, 2014

From your friendly Bean Finder

You've heard of a bean counter, right? I'm the person that gets the beans for that person to count.
 I've chosen a career in the non-profit sector as a fundraiser. My fancy title is "development officer" but what I do is find beans. Well, I find the money to fund a cause and/or mission. In the past, I've raised money to subsidize programs like a cancer survivor rehab program, youth camps, mental health programs and un-glamorous but necessarily things like balancing the budget. In my most recent previous job, I raised money to fund life-saving heart research. Now I raise money for financial aid and scholarships so families who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it can send their student to an excellent college preparatory high school. (So excellent that I would send my own child to this school.)
As with all in industries, there are specific experiences non-profit professionals endure that can be frustrating or annoying. I find humor to be the best therapy because, in the end, I love what I do. Thankfully, there is are others who feel the same way and have dedicated a website to it. For instance:
(Click the photo for more of these gems.)
This website sends me weekly emails to share the top posts of the previous week and it's just about the perfect way to start my Monday morning. Thanks, writers of "When You Work At A Non-Profit" for putting a smile on my face.

No comments: