Sunday, March 02, 2014

3 hour yoga workshop. Ommmmmm, yes!

A few weeks ago, I signed up for a yoga workshop because I very much adore Sparkle, one of the yoga teachers heading it up. I asked if it was OK for pregnant women and she assured me that it would be just fine:

Yesterday, I was feeling tired. I don't really get to rest during the week because I work full-time so I'm exceptionally lazy on the weekends. I was almost dreading going to this workshop because it was three hours. Of course, the fact that I already paid was incentive enough to get my rear end out the door. Unfortunately, I wrote down the wrong location - this yoga studio has three of them. I got to the wrong location with nine minutes to spare, only to be told that it would take 15 minutes to get to the correct location. *Forehead slap*
I was anxious because it was across town but, remembering this was a YOGA workshop, I tried not to get myself worked up. I got there about 10 minutes late.
And then I needed to park.
I'm an East Bay gal to the bone but I have to admit, I have a preference for San Francisco over Oakland. It irritates me whenever I experience things I'll accept/forgive in SF but I think are totally unacceptable for Oakland. I still view it as the 'burbs (albeit it "urban") and not metropolitan, like SF. I mean, it totally is a bustling big city but this is the mindset I have so there it is. Anyway, whenever there is NO PARKING in Oakland, I get pissy.
Well, there was no parking. I circled for about 10 minutes and came upon a spot. I still managed to stay calm because, I figure, I can't be the only one who experienced this and it is a three hour workshop, after all!
I walk quickly (AKA haul ass) in the rain to the yoga studio. The front desk gal was friendly but quickly became dismayed when I told her I was there for the workshop.
"I'm sorry but we have a 10 minute policy and it's well over 10 minutes."
OK, I admit, I panicked.
"I totally understand but I went to the wrong location." Realizing that it wasn't a good enough excuse, I hurriedly added, "I got here as fast as I could. I came all the way from Castro Valley for Sparkle." I whined.
I know, whining hardly every wins. I was ready to throw in the pregnancy card, too. I mean, can you imagine? After all this I get turned away and you know for dang sure I wasn't going to get a refund. I had to try it all.
The front desk gal checked her list again and asked me for my name. I gave it and she scanned one more time, having not found me her first two glances. Then she realized I was the only person highlighted because EVERYONE else showed up early or on time, like they were supposed to. Bless this gal, she has mercy on me and told me to go ahead.
I was seriously the last one to arrive. I've never been put in this position before. Truly, I've always shown up early. I think in all the time I've gone to yoga, nearly ten years, I've been late maybe twice. But I've never been this late before. I was the gal I despised (unyoga-like, I know but I'm being honest here) - I showed up late, caused a ruckus even though I tried my hardest to be quiet and people who showed up early had to move their mats to make room for me. Oh, deaaaaarrrrrr.
But my yoga teacher was so sweet. Luckily she saw me right away and cleared a spot. She also rustled up the remaining props because most were all out but the ones they has a surplus in she made sure I received. She also made sure the other teacher knew I was pregnant so she could give me adapted poses.
It was a very cool workshop. The Man was worried I would be exhausted from a three hour workshop and, frankly, I was also wondering about my stamina. But my yoga teacher was right - it was a perfect workshop for me. Very chill and the whole point was to relax and restore ourselves. While I didn't get to partake in everything because of pregnancy limitations, it was still pretty awesome. I definitely want to do this type of workshop again, post-baby. I left feeling refreshed and thankful - Thankful to my yoga teacher and her partner for the evening, thankful to The Man for letting me take the time to go to a long workshop, thankful to live in a place that has these kind of offerings and just thankful, in general. That's one of the reasons why I love yoga and this teacher, in particular. I leave yoga classes with gratitude in my heart. It's quite lovely. It also helps me find balance against all those times I feel anxious or in a hurry, which is more often than I would like.
I want to be healthier. As I mentioned in my previous post, I seem to have picked up my old nasty habit of inhaling everything, particularly food that is j-u-n-k. And that's the only time when I believe I'm eating for two - that I need to stop being selfish and eat healthy because this little boy needs nourishment! Coffee Bean also needs me to kick up my exercise game.
Even though I was also pooped today I took up The Bun's offer to go for a walk. See, I love walks but she doesn't last for very long and doesn't walk very fast. We live in a beautiful area but it doesn't make for ideal exploring for a toddler. I would love to let her meander but we don't have sidewalks. It can be a little dangerous. But today she told me she wanted to take the stroller. Let me just say that this is a rare occurrence because as soon as The Bun could walk, she resisted the stroller. We've been without it for so long that we don't ever pack it, even when we know we're going to walk long distances! She would prefer her dad's shoulders to a stroller. So when she said she would ride in the stroller, I took her up on it!
Poor pups, they have lacked exercise too because of their mama:( I was sick, then it got to be very cold and now it's wet and I'm often tuckered out. They haven't had their frequent walks in months, just getting it sporadically now. They were overjoyed to go on a walking adventure, even if it meant being tethered to an ominous stroller. (It really isn't, it's just that if they don't watch where they're going, they get nicked in the hind legs with a tire. No one ever gets run over but I suppose it's a threatening object to them.)
It was already 5:00 PM so the sun was in it's last stages but we got in a good 45 minute walk. It was so nice to get out in the sunshine and it made me remember how great I felt when I would do this simple deed. I walked until the sun started to go down - again, having no sidewalks is a downer for our otherwise lovely neighborhood so it's always better to walk when it's bright out, especially with a kiddo and two pups.

Here's a photo I snapped of me and my little. I hope we can make this a tradition! We live on a hillside so pushing her totally kicked my bum. Even though it was cool I worked up a sweat! Very good exercise for this mama and I want to get this on our schedule. It's just so hard to do during the week because by the time we get home, it's getting dark. I'm looking forward to the days getting longer and we can do a lot more after work because the sun is out. Thankful that she had a good time, though, and I'm hoping she will want to do this again and again.

No comments: