Thursday, March 15, 2007

A woman of action Part II

These here blogs are a funny thing. It's great to share your life with friends through it. Sister and I are able to share little things that happen that we sometimes forget to mention on the phone. And I've become quite closer to Pookie and Tater through it. Much closer than if we relied upon just seeing each other every once in a while. But I know better than to divulge information that could get me in trouble. Like writing about a fight, or me being upset with someone. Or my displeasure with work.
I'm sure I wasn't very subtle at all when I did refer to work. But I really didn't like my job. Hate is a strong word - I didn't hate it because I worked with really great people. But I knew right away it wasn't something I wanted to do as a career. So then what? It would look bad on my resume to leave before two years because I would show instability. When I realized I could barely hold on for one full year I knew that I would just have to deal with that issue. But it looks even worse if I were to quit and then look for a job rather than currently have a job while looking (I know, my HR friend told me so!)
I kept a lot of contacts at my old job and it had looked like there would be a spot for me. Then the restructure did not take place and I was so depressed. Never mind that I felt like a vulture, waiting for people to get canned so there would be a restructure and an open position for me. So that's why I was down in the dumps earlier this year.
I looked at other opportunities and while there were some interesting ones (keep in mind I had to be reasonable and think of what I qualified for!), nothing was great enough to put in my application. I figured I would just have to wait some more until something came along. But I also knew I had to be proactive and look daily at job opportunities. Well, looking for a job is a full time job! So when I would get home after working 8+ hours, it was such a chore to look at jobs. Unfortunately, it was also apparent to friends and family that I was different. I stopped being social and hardly talked to anyone. But I just kept on keepin' on.
It so happened that The Man and I decided to visit a
friend because she wanted to see the pups before she moved. She had no idea that when she asked "How's work?", it would open the flood gate of unhappiness. She then told me she had just put in her two weeks notice and why don't I apply? I promptly told her, "Hey, I read your blog! I know you hate your job!" She replied that there were certain things she didn't like but, overall, it was a good company and a good job. She told me to send her my resume and also apply online to the position. I looked at the description and it was sort of a combination between my current and old jobs. And it was closer to home!
After six weeks, a phone screen, application process, preliminary in-person interview, online personality assessment, three and a half hours three-person panel interview, skillset evaluation, and four 30-minute references later, I got the job!
Things at my current (now old) job ended pretty badly. Long story short, when they knew that I was in the final stages of the interview process, the manager decided that rather than me giving two weeks, I would end in four days - the same day another person on the team was leaving the company. There is much more to the story but that is basically it. After getting over feeling like I was treated like trash, and then not sure if I got the job and what the hell was I going to do if I didn't(??), everything fell into place when I was finally extended a job offer. I will be gainfully employed in a a few weeks. I unknowingly received a three week break and am enjoying it!
So it's been a crazy seven days or so but everything ended up OK. I am really looking forward to starting this new job. And it's with a company in which I can see building my career! I would be lying if I didn't say I was very close to shatting bricks when, for about three days, I didn't have a job and wasn't sure if I was going to be offered one! While this isn't how I would have preferred to transition between jobs, it was probably best. If it had been done my way, I would have had to work for two more weeks and then have one week off. I now have three weeks. Whooohooo!

5 comments:

Veronica said...

Congrats!! I am so HAPPY! I knew you would get it...I'm also glad you found out early cause now you can seriously enjoy the break!! YES!!

ElleDee said...

Pooks, thank you very much for the comment and the text! That was sweet of you. By the way, we had such a good time visiting. The Man thinks you Pie Sisters are hilarious with your competitive edge ;) We really had a lot of fun.
Cyn, you know me too well at times! I never went into detail why I didn't like my job (what's the point?) Thanks for the support!

White Ghost Devil said...

Good for you. You know that I can always get you a job in the exciting portable sanitation industry, so you have that to fall back on.

I'm looking forward to your visit during your accidental spring break.

Kim said...

CONGRATS!

demondoll said...

I am soooo happy for you! I think that everything has turned out for the best! And I think any goofiness from the way stuff went down will soon be set aright...
Again- congratulations! And thank you for timing it so I get a little more time with you :)