Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Leisurely hike, my @ss

The Man wanted to do several adventurous things while we were on vacation. No problem, I said. Kayaking, ziplining and ATV - sounds like fun. "Oh hon," my new husband said, "I'd like to go on an adventure trail but it's all day. Don't worry, the book says it's easy. Takes an hour and a half to get to and it's faster going back down the mountain."
Evidently, easy is subjective. I should have raised more questions when I saw we were packing 128 oz of water, a compass and snacks. Also keep in mind that I am very clear about my likes and dislikes. More power to you if you enjoy camping. I do not. I am much better at beaches and regional parks – places that the city or county are in charge of maintaining. I am not good in the wilderness. By wilderness, I mean the jungle.
After four hours of hiking, we were at the secret tunnel. We couldn't go through and continue, though, because it was going to be dark in a couple of hours and we needed to be done before then or else we would be in complete darkness. I broke down crying three times. I mean, all out, hyperventilating sobs. I'm not proud, it was what it was. I was exhausted, cold, wet, muddy and had fallen numerous times. It got to the point where I was scared of everything because I was falling left and right. To be fair to The Man, the book did mark this trail as easy. And the book also said it would be muddy for only the first 150 yards. It was muddy the ENTIRE TIME. I wore sneakers but lost traction from all the mud gathered in the treads. And sometimes I lost my sneakers in the mud. But we finished in 6 1/2 hours. We made it back to the car right after sunset so there was still a little light left.
Honestly, I hated this hike. I prefer nicely paved or packed trails ... like Diamond Head. I was so tired but this was really important to him and something that he wanted us to do so, by golly, I wasn’t going to quit. We were going to find that damn tunnel! And with the help of his compass, going on wrong trails that lead us back to where we started and running into poor strangers who bought the same guidebook as us, we finally found that ugly tunnel. The Man felt bad that I was bruised, bitten and scratched (and hating life!) so I got a spa treatment the next day ... on him!
Anyway, The Man documented our hike and made a video. Unfortunately, there was no way I could hike and hold the camera so there's no footage of him :( But I told him within the first 10 minutes, I would have slipped and smashed his camera against a rock so it was for the best. You will see from his editing that he has a kooky sense of humor. Yes, I love my husband.


Death March Monday HD from Gram on Vimeo.

PS: At the end, he mentioned that I couldn't sleep that night. It's true! I kept dreaming that I was falling, slipping or tripping. My body would jerk and I would gasp, "Honey! I fell!" And he laughed and said I was dreaming. This happened at least four times during the night.

10 comments:

mrs. A said...

Please never show this to my husband - cause he'll want us to go hiking on that trail! :)

Where in sam-hell are you two? I know Kauai is not-so-developed, but it looks like you two were in some LOST-universe!

Even with hiking boots, gaiters, waterproof clothes and hiking sticks, I don't think anyone would enjoy that "walk". :(

But, I love the look you gave your hubby when he fell... still holding on to the camera. It's the same look all wives give their husbands when they do something silly. ;)

ElleDee said...

Vero & Mrs. A - THANK YOU for validating my feelings on this hike! In the moment, he felt really bad. Now that time has gone by, he thinks I'm a weenie. And you know what I told him? I don't care! That shiznit was CRA-ZEEEEE!!! The next day, I did what I next-to-never do ... I hung out at the resort! I was seriously traumatized!!!!! :P

demondoll said...

But I'm still giggling over the vid, and when the hubs comes home from Cabo- I'm showing him!
:-D
(So's he knows how to avoid certain death by my bare hands!)

C said...

OH HEeEEELlLlLLl NaHHhHHh!!!! us city girls LIKE our shopping malls, MANICURED grass and trees! I'm sorry girl i was laffing out loud the WHOLE TIME!!! I can see your face all in that was going through your head...

Oh man...that was SO funny!

demondoll said...

I live in the literal boondocks, and I still think it's cruel! It's like he was giving you a "Lost" experience, but with the Others instead of the nicies.

Sister, you come on up to the hinterlands with your Mr., and we can set you up on a nice civilized clam dig or something :-) Or a crab cookout? If he needs adventure, he can go out on the boat w/WGD and the bro on the chilly Admiralty Inlet to get said crab...
:-)

ElleDee said...

Thank you all for your comments and making me feel like less than a weenie. I told The Man that, while I did sob on three separate occasions, most women I knew would have turned back, sat in the car and waited for the husband to come back. He didn't believe me.
I told him to take his brother-in-law the next time. Or Albert. (hehehe Vero! Did you show him? He's next! I'll be at home knitting or watching your boy with you!!!)

Veronica said...

I showed Albert..and Albert was like,"that was cool looking, but it reminds me of the time that Jon-Jon took me mountaing biking...and we all know how that ended" ha!

Albert also said..jonjon told him that the bike trail was a beginners level...mmmmhmmmm...

Kim said...

OK, call me crazy, but that actually sorta looks fun!

Veronica Milan said...

got your card! Glad you liked your gift..we really wish we could have bought you guys more. :(
We want to get together and take you all to dinner!


OH and my last name is MILAN ;) haha NOT Lopez!! hahah

MuniSucks said...

WTF!!!I would of turned around as soon as my feet touched the mud! I can't believe you did that and ended up in a muddy mess as the destination! I would of cried then made the man carry my ass back! Hell no! That's why The Man is lucky to have you.