Friday, July 11, 2008

WWLDD ... What would Liz@D@wn do?

So check this out - as you know (if you read my Twitter) I've started the process of changing my name. What an adventure that was. And I'm going to share it with you.
Monday, July 7th: I decided to try and go to the Social Security Office and the DMV.
Mistake #1: Not doing any kind of research before going to these fine establishments. OK, that's the only mistake I'm listing. But it's a good one!
I thought that I could "pop in" to take care of my business. I knew there was going to be a wait but I figured it wouldn't be so bad. "Ah-hah!" you smirk. And you would be correct. Both places were crazy busy and I refused to wait at either one. The SS Office had a helpful guard who said the best times to come were either first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon.
Wednesday, July 9th: So I went back at 8:45am, waited a little over 20 minutes and had myself a new last name. At least with the SS Office.
Then I went to the Kaiser Pharmacy to pick up a prescription. I was in the area and it was as good of a time of any to pick up my stuff. I swear the same people that were at the SS Office were in line at the pharmacy. Hey. I know that I wasn't turning any heads with my T-shirt and faded sweat shorts but I looked somewhat presentable. I suppose, though, that these people should be cut some slack because they were sick. Anyway, the line is long but it was moving rather fast with the three different windows open. I was next in line when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, this little old lady limping as she is pushing her walker. And she is bypassing the line and going straight to an un-manned window.
I ask you ... WWLDD?
I eyeballed this lady, wondering what would unfold. At this time, a window had become free and the pharmacist tech said, "Next!" I walked to the window which happened to be right next the little old lady. She didn't try to cut in front of me and I was relieved that there wouldn't be a showdown. But if she had tried ... would I say something? I really wondered. As the PT was pulling up my file in the computer, I had continued to eyeball the old lady. I saw that she glanced behind her and saw the long line. But she doesn't move.
My PT was about to get my prescription when the little old lady piped up from the other obviously un-manned window, "Excuse me! Is anyone at this window?"
My PT replied, "Oh! I thought someone was helping you! I will help you right after her."
I was torn. Here was this little old lady who was obviously quite frail and was somehow damaged. While she didn't give off a bitchy vibe, she had this air of entitlement when my PT talked to her. Kind of like, "Oh yes. See to that, young man." I know she saw that there was a line. But she didn't seem at all grateful that the PT was going to help her next. She seemed a little bit impatient, if anything. But again, she wasn't mean. And it was obvious that she was not in the best health or in the prime of her life. But STILL.
I had thought about passing the PT a note to let him know that the little old lady wasn't next. I didn't want the little old lady hear me say, "Psst. She didn't wait in line, man! All those people are ahead of her." But then I figured that even if I did let the PT know, he would still help her next because she was already there and it was easier to help her out than make her go to the very end of the line. It was probably much quicker to help her out then set her straight and possibly cause a scene. But how would I feel if I had been one of those people, especially when she had looked back, saw the line and probably made eye contact with a few of them. I wouldn't have been a happy camper if I was one of those people. Unless she was bleeding, shaking or obviously hurt in some way, I would have wanted her to fall in line with the rest of us commoners.
All of this was racing through my mind as the PT got my prescription. When he came back, I decided not to tell him because I figured he would help out the little old lady no matter what. Yes folks, I kept my mouth shut. I took my prescription, thanked him and moved out of the way so the little old cutter could be helped next.
I think I did the right thing. I think. I'm really not quite sure. Part of me wonders if that little old lady/cutter would have caused a scene if I pointed out to the PT that she cut in line or if I had told her that there was actually a line. As if she didn't know. I'm OK, though, with never finding out. Because me up against an 80+ old woman wouldn't have been good. I'm sure the whole pharmacy would have turned on me.

6 comments:

demondoll said...

You are the nice!

Me, I'm afeared I would tell her, "Ma'am, the line starts yonder." You know how I feel about the gerries...

Anna M said...

Hmmm...that is a tough one, even for me.

I think I would have let her go, if she wasn't a bitch. She probably couldn't stand up for long.

Jeesh...maybe there is a heart in my somewhere.

Have a great weekend!

I need to catch up on your blog...I have been a blog reader slacker lately!!

Veronica said...

ohh...I think since no one complained they felt the exact same way...she's old...she'll be dead soon, let her cut, let her get back to her little home quickly. She couldn't be in good health. KWIM?? Some of us feel bad for the old fragile, dying people.

Some of us.

I would have kicked her Depends booty to the end of the line!! hahah


I kid.

mrs. A said...

People here in India cut lines ALL THE TIME! And I have learned to say to them (sometimes nicely, sometimes not)... "Uh, there's a line."

If they're super pushy and shove their items near my personal bubble (cause Indians tend to stand butt crack to crotch)... I say something like "My gosh! What's your hurry? Can't you wait 30 seconds while I finish up?!"

Heh... Sometimes I'm not sure they understand my accent and English - so more often than not, they just stare blankly back at me and mutter something under their breath. :) Oh well, TII (this is India).

Kim said...

Methinks I'm a doormat or a pushover...I probably would have offered to let her go ahead of me. After all, I have the time to wait for one more person to get served. She may die on the way home! Plus, I want to make sure I rack up some good karma for when I'm old...who knows what kind of situation I'll be in by then! :D

demondoll said...

I'do what Kim would if there nobody's behind me (I admit I let people in ahead of me at the grocery store, esp. if they have only a few items), but I can't do it if there's a line.