Friday, July 25, 2008

I bought the tickets!!

A few years ago, I really was an SF Hula Girl. I was going through a break up and had decided that I needed small and big changes in my life. I took up baking, tennis and I also decided that after three years of just thinking about it, I was actually going to learn to dance hula. The only thing I stuck with was hula.
I had asked a friend who danced hula in the East Bay and she recommended the halau, Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu. I know, imagine how hard it was for me to grasp the pronunciation and I had to say it correctly or be shamed! Knowing nothing about hula, I found out that it was really great timing on my part because the halau was opening a beginning class around the same time I had inquired. So I joined ... all by myself. That in itself was kind of a big deal for me because I tended to at least drag one friend with me to do things. But I guess I was on some sort of self-discovery kick.
For four years, I learned hula. But it was so much more than that! I learned more about myself, built friendships and gained a great appreciation for a culture that was not mine but adopted me into the fold. Almost all of my hula brothers and sisters were so sweet, kind, funny and welcoming. I later found out that I was so spoiled to even have hula brothers since many other halau didn't have male students. And can I just that hula brothers are as fabulous as you think they are ... maybe more. I also grew up a lot during this time - dating for the first time (can we say FIASCO?!), getting over a broken heart, chasing the wrong guys, learning to have fun as a single girl in the city ... just so much fun.
Anyway, I ended up leaving Na Lei Hulu because the commute from the East Bay was killing me. I wasn't practicing nearly as much as I should have and I was doing a disservice to myself, my kumu, and his teaching assistants by not giving it my all. But I continued to go to Na Lei Hulu performances because they are absolutely wonderful. I did make friends attend with me and I think they all appreciated the performances. Tel, in particular, was always moved and right there with me when it came that time of the year to buy tickets for the show! And since she's left, I think I've missed two years in a row because I was either out of state (attending a friend's wedding in Hawaii) or just didn't have anyone who wanted to fork over the money to see the show with me.
This year, I asked The Man to pretty please come with me to a show because I didn't want to miss another year. He appreciates the culture and really likes the music but just doesn't dig hula as much as me. I think he finds it a little too relaxing - I've caught him nodding off. But he agreed to go because I really really really miss seeing their shows.
The halau and kumu are pretty well known within the hula community and have been embraced by the San Francisco Bay Area, as well. Here is a video that was made for our local PBS station back in 2001 and still airs today:

I am so excited to see their show in October!!!

2 comments:

demondoll said...

Squeee! I'm so excited for you! You'll both have a wonderful time :-)

Anna M said...

How cool that you learned the hula! I am impressed!