Thursday, May 28, 2009

The big 2-0!

I love the weekly pregnancy e-newsletter I receive from Kaiser. Here are some fun facts about Sticky Bun at 20 weeks, IN. MY. BELLY.

Body is about 8 inches long.
Weight is about 10 ounces.
Lanugo hair covers its entire body.
Eyebrows and lashes appear.
Nails appear on fingers and toes.
Activity increases with increased muscle development.
Heartbeat can be heard with a stethoscope.


Crazy, right? Here are some fun facts about weight gain!

Breast increase: 1 - 3 pounds
Blood increase: 4 1/2 - 5 pounds
Maternal stores: 4 - 8 pounds
Placenta: 1 - 2 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 - 3 pounds
Fetus: 7 1/2 - 8 pounds
Uterus increase: 2 - 5 pounds

The recommended amount of weight you should gain throughout your entire pregnancy is about 25 to 35 pounds. This varies, of course, depending upon your pre-pregnancy weight.

Go ahead, you know you want to say it. You're at least thinking it. OK, I'll say it for you. What the ****, man! 5 pounds of blood? 4 pounds of uterus? And what the EFF is a maternal stores? It's a polite way of saying FAT. Isn't the break down of pounds crazy?! I can't wait to show The Man.

2 comments:

jen said...

hmmm, this totally reminds me of Juno, when that little Asian girl tells her that her baby has fingernails.

:)

Random. I know.

But, good to know these things!

ElleDee said...

Tel, my Sister broke it down to me one day when I was exhausted, breaking out in a rash and just having a rough day. Being pregnant is basically being a host for a parasite. And while she knows that the miracle of pregnancy and birth is beautiful, it is what it kind of is. They suck up your calcium (I was warned to be very good about my dental check ups because tooth chipping is not abnormal during pregnancy), your energy and a lot of other things. But it is all about the outcome :) Luckily, it's not so draining during the 2nd trimester and I feel pretty good!
Jen, I need to watch the movie again which is crazy because it's a favorite ... but I don't remember the scene you're talking about. Oh well, I adore that movie so guess I'll have to NetFlix it ;)