Friday, May 01, 2009

Oh ... the J-O-B!

I haven't written in a long time about my money maker, my J-O-B, because of all the changes going on in my life. Well, over all, I still love it. It's been a challenging year in the Bean Finder industry. But hasn't it been challenging in just about every industry? Anyway, despite my numbers being abysmal, everything else is peachy keen. I know it's a little sick but I really do love my job. Weird thing to write because it's not my DREAM JOB (my dream job would be a travel channel host who goes to tropical locations ... or be a movie star) but I do love it.
There are those days, though.
One of the perks I have is that I can work from home. I'm not officially a telecommuter but something pretty close to it. I don't have a conventional work schedule. Although I can work from home, I travel 85% of the time during my work day to various customers and potential customers, depending on the year. I put a lot of mileage on Gertie and although she's a 2008 model, she's probably seen more action than cars a little older.
While I love my job, there are always pet peeves or a downside, right? Well, a glaring downside for me is the driving. And I don't complain most of the time because I knew what I was signing up for. But HOT DAMN. In the past 2+ years, I've gotten a moving violation ticket so I took traffic school to get it cleared. But then there was a big mess with sending it to DMV and NOT the court so it actually did not get cleared and now I have a point. Then I got into an accident which I will totally own up to and admit was my fault. Another point. My insurance is now double. Then I got a flat tire that needed to be replaced. For $280+. That really ticked me off because I thought I could get at least two for that price.
And then yesterday. Yesterday I'm driving with The Man to take care of some errands after work and I hear something that sounds like a seat belt is flapping in the wind. Odd because my car is new enough that the belts retract pretty well. Once we get to our destination, I look for something sticking out of my rear passenger door. Paper bag? Seat belt? Nothing. Huh.
I then see a BIG ASS NAIL head sticking out of my tire. I am not kidding, it was over a 1/2 inch in diameter. This thing was HUGE. I show The Man who remembers all to well how much the last tire cost. We go to a tire place and, thank goodness, they say they can patch it up for $30. I am conservatively excited as I've had to end up replacing patched tires in the past. But hey, I'm willing to kick down $30 with the hope it will work.
Christmas on a Cracker, people! All this driving around has made me susceptible to so much more than I'm used to! Oh, let's reflect on all the crazy things that happen to me where, luckily, my car and/or I don't get injured. I've had two canoes come off of a car in front of me on the freeway going 80 miles an hour. Thank goodness they bounced in opposite directions instead of directly behind the car because that's where I was! I've also seen what appeared to be two dead bodies in unrelated incidents (I think one was a motorcycle accident and the other was someone who committed suicide on the railroad tracks.) I've had a van next to me, again on the freeway, have its tire closest to me EXPLODE. No, I'm not exaggerating. Luckily, they were able to maintain some control and veer to the left shoulder instead of to the right (where I was) and, while parts of the tire did hit my car, there was no damage.
This nail, which was actually a big ass BOLT, was the last straw for The Man. He asked me if, once I'm back from maternity leave and the economy starts looking up again, I can look for another position within the company. I told him that I could but none would allow me to work from home. He said he didn't care, that I drove too much and we would come up with a way to get child care so that I could work 9-5 in the office. (People, this bolt was ginormous. He has no idea how I could have gotten it in my tire other than the freeway.) He has had enough.
Me? As long as the $30 patchwork holds up, I'm OK. But I get where he's coming from. I do drive an awful lot. And in addition to all I mentioned above, the wear and tear on my car is a bit much. If I stay at my job, The Man said my next car should be a tank. I argue that the mileage would be bad.
We will see. I understand his point but I love my job. But if I see one more dead body or another object poorly tied to the car in front of me that just flies off, I may have to start inquiring within my company.

3 comments:

jen said...

Oh man, that's a lotta miles. :( Thank goodness you were never hurt!! I can totally understand the Man's point...he wants what's best for your safety and nothing wrong with that. And besides, you still have time to become a movie star! :D

C said...

get a hybrid. Man i drive a lot too well at least I thought I did...but not enuff to see the kind of action you see...dang, i know it scary for you but seems exciting. okay, not exciting but i guess i can turn into one of those lookie lu's on the freeway.

i dont think I want you driving around all that much either since you're carrying sticky bun. BE SAFE WOMAN.

and, can't your j-o-b pay for some of your car repairs because of wear and tear?

ElleDee said...

The things I've seen! You're right, Tel, the Bay Area roads are nuts ;) The couple of things I've witnessed that I didn't mentioned b/c they happened during off work hours - a car on 19th coast through all the lanes, hitting some cars and eventually hitting a curb. Why? Because the driver had been SHOT (found out on the news.) Then at the toll plaza on the Bay Bridge (full of traffic), I saw one cop car pull over a car. Then two other cop cars pulled over behind the first. Then I saw all the cop cars open their doors, pull out rifles and hide behind their doors. The driver and passengers of the car raised their arms in the air, slowly opened their doors, got out and knelt down on the road as the cops rushed and handcuffed them. Um yah. We were in the lane right next to this and I thought, Jeezus, what if bullets start flying?! Ahh, the Bay Area.
Hybrids are great Cyn but they would still get jacked up on the road. Plus the safety rating of my car is a wee bit better (The Man wanted me in a Subaru which is excellent in safety ratings, I wanted a Hybrid or a Civic and the Accord was our compromise.)I get reimbursed for mileage which includes wear and tear but for big things like accidents or expensive insurance, it just doesn't cover it.
Jen, I think that dream has floated away ;)