Thursday, May 21, 2009

My next step ...

I've enrolled in prenatal yoga and start this Tuesday. I'm nervous and hope I like it.
I loved Vinyasa yoga and took it for years. Some people may not consider it yoga because it was less about meditation and more about challenging the body in difficult poses. But the intensity (and yes, pain) was like meditation for me because I couldn't think of anything else but trying my best to keep my ass from falling over. But scheduling and a very bad shoulder made it difficult to keep up my practice and then my chiropractor discouraging me finally did me in. She, like me, thought yoga was wonderful but said that there was a clear connection between my shoulder pain and yoga classes. So out went yoga and in came boot camp.
Well, boot camp is now on the back burner because of Sticky Bun (who has a name now, by the way.) The whole "Yippee! It-kicked-my-ass-but-in-a-good-way!" feeling disappeared in my second trimester and was replaced with the "Oh-dear-Jeezus,-please-don't-let-me-throw-up-while-I'm-lunging-with-weights-and-I-cannot-believe-there-is-still-45-minutes-left-of-class/ I'm-really-going-to-vomit" feeling. That actually surprised me because I thought I was going to be in even better shape then my doozie of a first trimester. When I told my doctor that boot camp was getting very difficult, she said she was wondering how long I would last in that class. Nice. She recommended I switch to low impact workouts and low impact boot camp was NOT.
Anyway, back to the prenatal yoga. I'm nervous not because I haven't been doing yoga for a while but, well, this will sound totally cocky so I must apologize in advance. But what I'm worried about is that it will be too easy and I will get bored. When I started taking yoga and tried out different classes, there was such a thing as too easy of a yoga class even though I was a beginner. And really, I stand by that. Maybe "easy" isn't the appropriate word but I just don't want a class that's about breathing through one nostril, out the other, and chanting. I'm okay with the breathing but give me a workout, too, for crying out loud.
I'm taking it through Kaiser so the classes are relatively inexpensive and it's only once a week for six weeks. There is a yoga studio across town that teaches prenatal yoga but I wanted to try Kaiser first because it takes all of two minutes for me to drive there and it's less expensive. We'll see. Across town takes 15-20 minutes (I cannot believe street traffic sometimes) but it's twice a week and because it's at a studio, it may be a little more challenging. But I have plenty of time to figure it out. I've paid for the next six weeks at Kaiser. Hey ... wouldn't it be something if I go to my class on Tuesday and totally get my ass kicked? Like a deserving cocky mother effer? We'll see ... I'm hoping I'm not THAT out of shape!
The Man and I will also be attending a baby preparation class in July. Here is the description: The time for your baby's arrival is drawing near. We'll help you and your partner get ready for the labor and delivery experience. That means being able to recognize the early signs of labor and to know when to call your doctor. We'll discuss what you can expect in the hospital, your options for pain relief during labor and delivery, and how to care for yourself after the baby is born. We encourage you to take this class when you are 28 to 34 weeks pregnant. This class does not take the place of Preparing for Childbirth.
Evidently we will be enrolling in the Preparing for Childbirth class, as well. I'm debating if I should take the breast feeding class because I was told by a couple that the one person who should be taking the class is the one that doesn't - the baby. I'm sure you're thinking, what's the harm in taking another class? These types of learning classes are 2 1/2 - 3 hours long! And as I steadily get bigger, the less excited I am about sitting anywhere for that long period of time unless it's well worth my while. And you bet you're sweet patootie that I'm bringing snacks and water. Maybe even a pillow.

3 comments:

jen said...

ah, the joys of going back to "school" :) But at least this is something you'll want to learn about!

And woohoo for yoga. I've heard so many wonderful things about yoga for expectant mothers and I'm sure this will be just the ticket for you. Do you have a place where you can go swimming? Cause I hear that's also a great low-impact exercise you can do that's safe for SB...wait...you said you have a NAME??? ;)...but also good toning for you.

BTW- I still need your addy! :)

Kim said...

I'm taking a breastfeeding class in June...a few friends who just had babies said the one thing they wished they had focused on more before birth was breastfeeding, because it turned out to be harder than they thought/expected. The class is free at my hospital, so I figure why not!

wetatic (LOL!)

ElleDee said...

So the first class wasn't bad! There was a little bit OM-ing and a little bit of chanting but it was pretty cool. I think what made the experience extra nice was that I was among baby bumps. For whatever reason, it was comforting to be around other pregnant women!
Most of the moms were in the latter part of their last trimester while I'm only half way through my prenancy. Simple poses that were once very easy for me, like triangle pose, are not challenging. That was quite humbling. But over all, I liked it! It's also less than 3 minutes from my house so that can't be beat.