Monday, May 28, 2012

Good for the Soul

After all that worrying, the doctor gave me permission to travel. I was soooo happy! This Girlfriends' Trip has been two years in the making. After the ups and downs of the past few weeks, it was a relief to know that it would include me & The Bun, after all. The thought of sticking around and using my PTO to go to the hospital and lab for checkups made me sick.
This trip to Hawaii was good for my soul. Well, I think every trip has been good for my soul. But this one more so than any other. I spent practically every moment w/ The Bun. I kind of wondered how that would go and, thankfully, it ended up to be wonderful. The Bun normally sleeps in her own bed in her own room so this could have gone terribly awry. But she was a champ! And we adjusted to being in one bedroom pretty well.
My three girlfriends also proved to be extremely helpful. They let me have some moments to myself, when needed. Collectively, we were able to give all the attention The Bun (as well as my friend's one year old) could ever wish for :)
Some photos from the trip:



One of my dearest friends bought leis for all the gals, grown and little.
 
My friend had the idea to cover The Bun in all the leis. Made for a pretty photo.


Visiting the glass chapel where The Man and I married four years ago.
To this day, I loved just about every part of our wedding.
 

As gorgeous as I remember.
 
Beach time with The Bun.


Taken on a walk around TBR grounds to help The Bun take a nap. It's no wonder people call Hawaii, "paradise".

Look at this toddler kiss. So sweet!

Us waiting for our last Hawaiian sunset.

Us at TBR's Monday Brunch.


Our last night at Turtle Bay Resort. Isn't it lovely?
 Being in one of my favorite places with some of my favorite people really helped keep my mind from thinking negatively. On one hand, sometimes it all felt quite clinical. After all, my pregnancy was never going to result in a baby. So when I think of it like that, it's not a big deal. It was always going to result miscarriage. It was just a matter of how the situation was going to play out.
Then there are other times when I think of it as, "I lost our baby". In fact, this is exactly what I said to The Man the night before I left when he saw me a little weepy and asked why. Because while, medically speaking, my pregnancy would never turn into a baby, our hearts were sure that we were going to have a baby born in December. We had already planned to change the home office into a nursery. I already got in my head that The Bun and our newest baby would be three years apart. How perfect! But I try not to think about stuff like that. What's the point?
As much as I love Hawaii and as much as it's one of my favorite places to be (and I have traveled in my earlier years!), this time I was also happy to go back. I missed The Man, our pups and our sweet little household. It's easy to forget that I live in one of the most desirable places in the world.While the Bay Area is sometimes chaotic, frenetic, and frustrating, it's also one of the best places to be. We have the city, the ocean, the bay, the cute suburban towns, the hills and mountains, and all the amenities one could ever need all within an hour away. Best of all, this place has many of my family and friends.
So yes, while I also have to work for a living (why can't someone pay me to be a fantastic individual, positively contributing to society?) which is kind of a bummer, I'm happy to back to what is considered my norm. 
But I definitely could get used to an biennial Girlfriends' Trip to Hawaii. I really could.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

The Bun is definitely a Hawaii girl! :) So happy to read you were able to enjoy your vacay and recharge yourself.