Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hoping & praying that it is all done

I woke up at 5:30 AM this morning. My wonderful mama planned on coming over at 6:30 AM so we wouldn't have to wake up The Bun while I went to the hospital. Since we had a babysitter, The Man wanted to be with me rather than drop me off & then pick me up. I was so thankful. I wouldn't have blamed him for doing that because the wait would be a couple of hours but I felt blessed to have him by my side for most of the time.
Yesterday, the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology said to go to the hospital at 7 AM. The folks needed to start my process in the OR don’t get there until 8 AM! Not sure what the logic in that was other than perhaps a lot of folks wait to get admitted so he wanted me to be first? In any case, the pre-op nurses were so sweet and apologized even though it wasn’t their fault.
Well, I was then put on the books for 10 AM. 10 AM rolled around and we found out there were two emergencies which pushed me to 1 PM. 1 PM! Understand that I had not eaten or drank since the night before. Not even water! You can’t eat or drink 8 hours before your surgery which is fine if it had been in the morning.By 11 AM, I was so hungry and thirsty and I wasn’t even allowed gum. Or to swab my mouth with a water soaked sponge on a stick! I had a huge headache by then (probably had to do with the fact I also hadn't had coffee) and I was certain I would have a raging migraine by the time I was done.
Let me just sing Kaiser’s praises again. My anesthesiologist was an earth angel. Come to find out, he was the same one for my cesarean section from almost three years ago. He promised I wouldn’t feel a thing. He said I wouldn’t be knocked out but that I wouldn’t remember. Let me tell you, I started crying in the Operating Room because The Man couldn't be there with me and it was such an intimidating room. It looked like I was having major surgery (even though it's considered minor) with all the equipment and masked faces. But then, BAM. I was being wheeled back in pre/post OP.
I hadn't felt or remembered a thing. Ignorance is truly bliss. I thought I was still waiting to go into surgery and they had to reassure me that, no, it was all done. If that’s not being knocked out, I don’t know what is. But I was so glad. Then I was given a Vicodin drip, monitored for an hour and then sent home w/ more Vicodin. I was a little loopy but I proclaimed my love for Kaiser, my doctor, my anesthesiologist and my nurses. They made a bad situation bearable.
Well, excluding the six hour wait. That was crappy.
I continue to worry, however, that when I get my lab work done on Monday, they will find out that I do have ectopic pregnancy after all, did a D&C for nothing and still not get to go to Hawaii. The doctor, prior to the surgery, warned that this could happen. But she had said, visiting me after the surgery, that everything looked promising. They still have to run tests on the tissue she took out but she said it looks like there was an embryo (or whatever terminology she used.) Plus I haven't shown symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy this entire time. Typically, one would have major cramping, bleeding and/or nausea.
So there is still more to be done. I have to go to the lab on Monday to get more blood drawn. This is how they know that the D&C worked because my HCG level should be going down.
I hate that this is still drawn out but I hope and pray that the D&C worked. If ever I needed a vacation, it’s now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get ld
I had a d&c done yeah it sux but I hope u feel better and are resting love you lots cyn