Monday, November 21, 2005

Complex, not confused

Going into my 27th year of creating havoc in this world, there are some things I've learned about myself. I've already told you five and we're just going to mosey into some more ...

6. Mama Lu likes to get her drink on. Granted, the atmosphere is different than a few years ago. Before, I could be found knocking back drinks in a club or bar. I now enjoy my drinks at a dinner party, restaurant, and if I'm lucky, by the pool. (Side note: Yes, it's true! After NOT singing karaoke all my life, I cracked this past weekend. It was the competition of an actual karaoke video game that scored points AND lots of rum & diet pepsi. I think I may be tone deaf.) Not to worry, I am not an alcoholic. My happy hours are few and far between. It's a blessing and a curse that I'm not allowed drink during my lunch hour.

7. LetyCrocker. I prefer to bake rather than cook. I wish I knew how to make filipino pastries but I fear that once I know the ingredients, I'll never put them in my mouth again. (Filipinos aren't known for their lowfat or low cholesterol food.) I like making cookies, muffins, and anything else I can whip up, throw in the oven and check on 20 minutes later. Cooking is too high maintenance for me. However, Pookiepie & P-hubby suggested I buy a crockpot so I might check it out. This baking bug was brought out when I had that marathon 1o- month break. My then roommates were pretty stoked (right, MsLips?) I believe I also baked when I was frustrated from bad dates. And MsLips can vouch that I'm capable of making a mean Puerto Rican eggnog. I know, that's alcohol. But still. Mmm.

8. TeenyBopper Tendencies. That's right, with no apologies. I read People Magazine. I like Veronica Mars (not the O.C. or One Tree Hill...that's too much teen drama.) I find a lot of meetings very boring and, unfortunately, many adults. And dammit, I like me some sparkles and glitter. I sneak them into my make up and clothes when I can. Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe are still my favorites (and will be for as long as I can fit into their anorexic sizing methods) mixed in with my Ann Taylor and Banana Republic pieces. I also like talking to teens which my job calls for sometimes. It's easy for me to sympathize and relate because I can remember clearly how hard it was to be in high school. Of course, I can only take teens in small doses. There's only so much teen angst I can stomach.

9. My inner-senior citizen. Guess these would be my grown up tendencies. When did I start thinking knitting was cool? Whatever, it is! While it does take a long a$$ time for me to complete a project, there's something instantly gratifying when I see my project get bigger and prettier before my eyes.
I prefer nights in with The Man watching comedies rather than us going to huge parties in the city. Don't know when the heck that happened but it did. I like "Girls Night In", slumming it in my sweats and enjoying a mixed beverage at a girlfriend's house over clubhopping and a "Girls Gone Wild" night.
But I haven't changed completely. I still like to go out and shake my thing ('scuse me, "thang") on special occasions. Heck, I'm still the girl who owns the flask with the etching, "Who's Your Daddy?" What's even cooler? One of my girlfriends has the matching flask with the etching, "You are, Big Papa."

10. Eclectic Humor (can I put those two words together?) The most random things make me laugh. I can't explain it. Like the word, snatch. Or The Man's really bad accents including the crack addict from the Chapelle Show. Hearing stories about the crazy parents at a Child Care center (oh yes, people talk), Robin Williams, bad dancing, reactions to bad dancing, King of Queens, little kids bickering, Filipino commercials, Adam Sandler and, by golly, The Golden Girls. It is the original Sex and the City. Blanche could teach Samantha a thing or two. Think about it, it's true.

Speaking of these lovely ladies, which Golden Girl are you? I'll tell you who I wanted to be ... Sofia. The way her face changed when Dorothy said, "Shady Pines, Ma, Shady Pines." Pure comedy.

9 comments:

demondoll said...

I love the Golden Girls. I'll take Betty White or Rue McLanahan in any show.
Knitting is mighty fine, but i'm STILL on that durn sweater.
I have crock pot. Used it once, the meat was tough. Mebbe I'll practice again.
Was just in F21, dressing Kay. I love that store with all their ho-ie outfits.
You make pancit? Can i come for dinner?

ElleDee said...

MsLips, you forgot to mention the abundance of cursing that preceded the pancit. Although it's not a pretty dish, it's difficult! I needed a big pot and was ticked off so I had to mix the ingredients in a popcorn bowl. Haven't tried it since 2000 ;)

Veronica said...

ddoll- the meat was tough? Must let it cook slowly all day!

Lulu- funny girl! I like the new name...Mama Lu. hehe

Veronica said...

Can you guys educate me? What is pancit?

demondoll said...

Pancit is like chow mein, but I think a wee bit better. At least dad's is...

ElleDee said...

Pancit is also less greasy. It's quite yummy with chicken and mushroom. Mmm.
No one is answering my question! Aren't you going to take the test and find out your inner Golden Girl?? (Or are you all "Dorothy" and just don't want to admit it??? Fess up!)

demondoll said...

It said Blanche, but I don't bleieve it. (The Muckboots I need are classic hoser midrise.my e-mail is hating aol... sorry!)

Veronica said...

Mine said Blance too.

"Nobody ever believes me when I'm telling the truth. It's the curse of every beautiful woman".

hehe...yeah...right!

ElleDee said...

Yah, I'm thinking this test is bogus. I came up as "Rose Nylon." While I thought she was the prettiest, she was dumb as a doorknob. I think Dorothy even hit her upside the head once, just for being so stupid. I'm sure I laughed my a$$ off.