Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Starbucks already smacks of Christmas

And I don't mind a bit. I love this time of the year. I adore the crisp, cold air and all the holiday decorations. I know, I know, people think Christmas is too commercialized. And yes, Christmas marketing campaigns are launched earlier and earlier each year. (Look at your local Starbucks.) But I honestly don't mind. I dig the Christmas music, decorations and all that holiday cheer. Plus, there's another reason why I love December ...

my 27th birthday is just around the corner :)

Just like New Year's Day,a birthday causes a person to reflect on the past and assess the present. A few things I've figured out:


1. Weight will always be a struggle. But dammit, if I at least attempt to better myself in some way (eating better and/or exercising) I tend to beat myself up a lot less. I'm working on the chocolate addiction.

2. I like working for a non-profit. Definitely not something I was aiming for in college when I was even more stressed out and sleep deprived. Back then, I wanted to make as much money as possible, be a TV reporter and possibly be famous. I wanted to either be Oprah or Lisa Ling. (Oh all right, Suchin Pak! I wanted Suchin's Pak's job. She scored a sweet job as an MTV correspondent. Snatch. OK, OK, nothing is worse than Asian on Asian hate.)
Come to find out, some non-profits pay more than the cheap ass news stations, which isn't saying much. More importantly, I like making a difference in my community. Hot damn, who would of thought?!

3. True friendships become apparent. There are the friendships that occur because of circumstance (school, work, church, etc.) But when it becomes harder to get together, it's like natural selection. The superficial friendships fall to the wasteside. My friends are oh-so-fabulous.

4. I will be officially in my "late twenties." Dang. I don't know how I feel about that one. I'll get back to you on that. I know I'm not old but because I was in school for so long, I feel more like 24 years old than 26. Doesn't seem like a big deal right? Ask my sister. She's the one that pointed out I'm not longer in MTV's demographics :)

5. Praise be, I am much more selective about who I give my heart to than I was a few years ago. I've learned the traits that I like, dislike, what I can deal with and what is a deal breaker. Luckily, I've known for a while that I cannot and will not take a man that is a fixer upper. Nor will I be someone's fixer upper. I am "as is." And, thank heavens, The Man is perfect for me "as is." Can I get an amen?!

I'm sure there will be more reflection as my birthday draws nearer. In the meantime, I will enjoy all that is Christmas. The wreaths, ornaments, greeting cards and Christmas tree smell. Isn't that the best?

8 comments:

Veronica said...

AMEN!

You and the man are perfect and the hubby and I love ya guys!

demondoll said...

Your birthday was one of the best days of my life. I'm sorry I let you fall off the sofa when you were 4 months old.
I heard Christmas songs on the radio just 2 days after Veterans' Day. I'm ok with that, just as I have already had an eggnog latte.
BTW, I know from crisp weather. The Boy and I were out on the d*mn tundra for today's field trip- studying sand and birds. I still don't know why... mebbe it's karma for letting you fall off the sofa...

ElleDee said...

Aww, thanks Pookiepie ;) I think The Man is pretty swell.
Do you see why I think I have the best Sister in the world? She is the sweetest and the coolest ever. And she is one of my best friends. Is that double dipping? Oh well, it's true!

demondoll said...

Speaking of Holiday tidings... we haven't yet taken the family holiday pic. So I don't know if I'll get those cards sent for Day after Thanksgiving annoyance(sigh). I do enjoy riling my loved ones! No xmas shopping done yet either. I better get on it.

Veronica said...

I hate Christmas shopping...

Bah Humbug!

ElleDee said...

Oh my dear...do you mean when we lived together? Then it's four years. If you mean grad school, then it's two years. Either way, it was a long a$$ time ago and it certainly has flown! Awww, 24, I am flattered ;)

demondoll said...

I like to be finished w/ shopping by Thanksgiving... managed to accomplish it several times. Not this year. Haven't even begun. Nice...

ElleDee said...

People, people ... I'm shopping online this year. I know, it's "like, soooo ten years ago!" but heck, I can't refuse free shipping. Plus, I have GREAT friends who don't exchange gifts. Thanks goodness! I love you guys. That still leaves a pretty big gift list but still, every little bit counts.