Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mabuhay y'all!

It's true - I'm going to the Philippines!

Now, a few of you might think, "What's the big deal? You're Filipino. You should be going to your Motherland." Here's the thing - I am 100% American, too. The whole identity or labeling thing has the potential to be a whole other long a$$ entry but just know there is a difference between being Filipino and Filipino American. Obviously, I fall under the latter.

What does that mean? Well, you can't really generalize Filipino Americans (FA) either b/c we're all different. And just like the US, the Philippines has different regions and provinces so each FA could quite possibly have a very different background from the next. For instance, like a kid from Hollywood vs. a kid from the Bronx vs a kid from Waco. Different.

Here are some of my obstacles -
1. I am extremely uncomfortable in 90+ degree weather. Sleeping is damn near impossible.
2. I speak Filipino food only.
3. My hair is too long for bucket showers. Again, this would be a whole new blog entry but I'll get to it, I promise.
4. I'm about 10-15 lbs too heavy for my relatives' comfort (you bet your sweet a$s that's going to be another blog entry.)
5. I am irregular when I travel. This probably makes me the most sad. Not a damn thing to do with being FA, it just makes traveling difficult.

Despite these obstacles, I'm very excited to be going. I've been to the Philippines a few times and know how to make it fun. Trial and error right? Here are my plans for my vacation in a few months -
1. Two weeks max. A lot of people say that two weeks is too short. That I would need to stay at least three weeks to get my money's worth. Believe you me, two weeks is long enough for me to stay anywhere. Don't judge me! That's just how it is.
2. My own room. Heaven bless my parents. They are so sweet. But one hotel room is NOT big enough for me, my dad and AL. Not when I was 17, not when I was 21 and certainly not now. But since I'm gainfully employed, I can spring for my own room. This prevents a war being waged between AL and AL Junior. Yes, I absolutely admit that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
3. Spa-ing in a third world country. Don't know if it's a Filipino thing but AL has never been into spa treatments. I didn't really get into spas until the past year. Well, guess what?? The Philippines has many many resorts where people from Australia, America, Japan and Hawaii vacation (don't ask me, they just do.) It's still a tad pricey but less expensive than American spas. And they are top notch because of their clientele. That's right, BIG PIMPIN' on a small budget.

Well, I'm pretty sure this question is in vain b/c I know my peeps. Got any suggestions for my PI trip? I'm open to them.

Oh, did I mention that I will be meeting The Man's side of the family my second week? Please, enlighten me: Why are female relatives SO protective of their male family members? Brothers, uncles, cousins, nephews. I kid you not when I say I'm a little bit skahred to meet his family. I'll ask you to wish me luck when my vacation draws nearer.

7 comments:

BpSnake (PJ Daddy) said...

Hey cuz, I'm exciting for you! It's been 10 years since I've been to the PI. Bring me back a souvenir, anything BUT "barrel man"!

Veronica said...

Oh fun! Meeting the man's family. I am sooo sorry! I know how that can be.

Unknown said...

Yay for international in-laws! :)

Veronica said...

Tel- Word.
I mean seriously, no one up in your Kool-aid cause they are too far...ah, now that would be
Sah-weet!!

demondoll said...

1.also dislike 90+ weather, completely lame when I lived in LA
2. I barely speak the food.
3.Your hair is an entity on it's own, bucket or no. Fabulously it's own zip code
4.Eff the relatives who give you guff. Say they're jealous cuz you know what real beef is."I can lose weight- will you always be nasty?"
5. I got nothing except metamucil.
6. What about the terrorists?

You just be your sweet self, and if the Man's girlies aren't nice... their loss!His mama loves you!
Smart move on own room. Have a lovely time at spaaaaa!

ElleDee said...

In-laws, even if they aren't immediate family, scare me :( I a big ol' wimp. But overall, I'm looking forward to this trip. I'll be sure to wear 'skeeter repellant.

ElleDee said...

You know, the big joke usually is that a guy (dad or brother) will be super overprotective over the females in their family. But I know so many MORE women who encounter the overprotective/overbearing females of their SO.
I don't want to "assume" that The Man's overseas family is like that but let's just say that I've encountered something like this in the beginning. Shhhhhhh!