Monday, February 13, 2006

No one likes an ugly bridesmaid dress

My friend, Maria, was kind enough to ask me to be in her wedding. So this October, I will be going to Oahu. There's something to be said about my annual tropical tradition. See? It's fate! Hawaii beckons me. And you didn't believe me.

Bless Maria's heart, she wants us to be in comfortable bridesmaid dresses. She's decided on a short, cotton, black version of her wedding dress available on JCrew. Yes, friends, that means I won't be wearing some WHACK A$S size that they ("they" being the sadistic wedding dress makers) conjure up which, in turn, makes women subject themselves to cabbage soup only diets and a pack of cigarettes for every meal until the big day. Freakin' SOBs.

This is what she's thinking about having us wear -

Praise be, she is actually considering dresses we can wear again! It's a sunset/evening wedding and the guys will be all in tuxes so Maria figures it's best to have us in short black cotton dresses. Throw some flowers in my hair and I am good to go! Best of all, it's $98 minus tax and S&H. I could kiss her.

Yah for not having a Bridezilla as a friend. Phew!
And just when you thought I couldn't get more little old lady-ish ...
I have found my new favorite yarn store, Nine Rubies. That's right, folks! I'm completely unapologetic - I am going to talk about a yarn store.
Nine Rubies is less than ten minutes away from my work. Danger, danger! But it's the first yarn store I've been in that is beautiful yet completely unpretentious. The mother/daughter duo are pretty awesome and give spectacular customer service. Plus, how can I NOT like a place this pretty?
I know, I know. I'm a disappointment to all those that have known me as the gal with the inscripted flask, "Who's Your Daddy?" Well, maybe they'll allow me to have it at the next Knit Happens meeting. Wouldn't that be ironic*?
*Knitting drunk is very, very bad. It's as bad as, if not worse than, blogging drunk. Yarn can be very expensive and fixing f-ed up projects could be even more expensive, costing me my sanity. If I were to bring said flask, I would have to cease all projects for the evening. Eh, I could deal ;)

10 comments:

demondoll said...

Hurray for a truly cute dress! (I am still sorry for the hellish creations I made you wear)

Lulu. You are bringing me to 9Rubies asap! Yum! And of course you must have "who's your daddy" flask at knit happens- the knitters I know would rejoice. And try to take it from you.

Unknown said...

Um, please make sure your friend's 0ahu wedding is completely original, for we wouldn't want to copy anyone, would we?

And what a fabulous dress, indeed! Halter necklines look good on just about everyone, and with your cans it will look ab-fab!

demondoll said...

LOL- Tel is too funny!

Veronica said...

hehehe she said your cans...hehe I envy.

ElleDee said...

She says "cans" a lot. This is why I adore the Tel. (No, Maria isn't knowingly copying anyone!)

I will try and bring my flask on a knitting fieldtrip and see what happens.

I think the dress is cute. Unfortunately, there are two other choices, one being strapless and the other being spaghetti-strapped. My vote is with this one.

Anonymous said...

Whatever. She's totally copying all the people who have already decided to get married in Hawaii. Not to mention all the people who have worn DRESSES to their weddings and such.

The dress is beautiful, by the way. You'll look gorgeous!

demondoll said...

hehehe I am still giggling over "cans"...

ElleDee said...

You're killin' me, XT! ;)

I'm glad everyone has given this dress the OK. Karaway, I can't believe you paid for all your bridesmaids' dresses! Hot damn girl!!!

MsLips, you and I have to talk sometime. There is so much going on.

Veronica said...

Karaway-All the dresses? Well shit, make me look cheap! I had 3 of my sisters as bridesmaids and two best friends. I say fuck that!

"It's an honor to be in your wedding Pookie! What you chose me? I will gladly fork out $150 for this awesome dress!"

I'm sure that's what they were thinking..hehe riiight!

demondoll said...

Oh, heck- when I think of the monstrosities I put my bridesmaids in... and I really tried to make it good! I had the bodices made, and still it was a nightmare. Oof.