Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It's been nearly 15 years ...

since I saw some of my aunts, uncles and cousins. Well, they're more family friends but basically people I grew up with but haven't seen since I graduated from high school. The only reason I remember that is because most of them were at my graduation party.
Why does it take a death in the family (or close knit group of friends) to bring people together?
An uncle passed away this week. He and my aunt have been family friends since I can remember. Probably way before I was born.
My sister had this really cool idea at her wedding reception. Instead of subjecting the single women to catching the bouquet (I've always hated that), she asked all the couples to get on the dance floor. Every couple of minutes, the DJ would say something like, "If you've been married one year or less, please leave the dance floor" "If you've been married five years or less, please leave the dance floor" until he was up to fifty plus years. This particular uncle and aunt, at my sister's wedding, had been married the longest and his wife got my sister's bouquet.
That was almost 11 years ago.
From what I understand, his health had been failing him for quite some time now. While I've always liked him, we've never been super close. But I'm sad that he's gone. He and his wife had a long and lasting marriage that we young bucks can only hope and dream of. And I also think about how my parents and how they're getting along in age. It makes me sad. I try ignore the fact my dad walks slower and my mom's becoming more and more physically challenged.
And now with The Bun here, I see how precious time is and how much I want her to know her Nana & Papa and to love them with all her heart.

1 comment:

C said...

i know what you mean when I look at my parents (though they drive me nuts) I think of how fragile they are now...just because I see them all the time, I forget how age and time has affected them in various way...it does test my patience too.