Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Is it the message or the messenger?

At work, I've somehow obtained the title of "The Girl with the Dirty Mouth." Now wait a minute, I must defend myself!

(Don't worry, I've learned from other people's mistakes, I'm not going to go off about work. In fact, I actually like my job ... most of the time.)

In any case, one of my coworkers today said to another, "Watch out, Lulu has a dirty mouth." And I replied, "C'mon! I can't possibly be worse than Jacky or Maria!" Jacky & Maria talk about everything, from penises to poop, skanks to pricks, and everything in between. Granted, I have said "vagina" in a management meeting but that isn't vulgar.

So why is it a big deal when I say something a little off key? Because it's not expected of me. People look at me and think I'm this harmless, innocent-looking, five-foot nothing little girl (it doesn't help that I do look younger than my age.) I'm also friendly, smile a lot, and generally have a pleasant disposition. Of course, I do let loose when I'm more comfortable around people. But it's really not so bad.

I curse a little but I also use alternative words to convey my feelings. Instead of the b-word, I like to say, "snatch." I know, I know, some people think it's worse but I just like how it sounds. I also like to make up words, like vaganus (vuh-jay-ness.) [I don't care what the urban dictionary says, the true and only real definition of "vaganus" is: "The result of giving birth-when the outer skin of the vagina rips, temporarily leaving the anus & vagina as one hole." I know this really doesn't happen but that's besides the point. I've heard too many birthing stories, which has heightened my already sky-high fear of the whole pregnancy process.] So at work, when I feel like dropping the f-bomb but shouldn't, I blurt out, "vaganus." I find it to be a satisfying substitute for many curse words. But I'm getting off topic.

I have coworkers who say A LOT worse than I do. But I think people expect it from them. When they look at me, they don't think I have that kind of crudeness in me. So when I DO say something a little bit colorful, there's practically a collective *gasp* in the room.Oh c'mon! You already know that I'm feisty, why are you so surprised when I blurt out something? Evidently, when I talk, birds should chirp, Bambi should prance in front of me and butterflies should flutter about.

Well, I can't always be Miss Merry Sunshine and happy-go-lucky. And even when I am in a good mood, why can't I talk the way Joe Shmoe talks? I believe I'm a genuinely nice person but I am no disney character. I'm not always going to be G-rated. Like Britney said, "I'm not that innocent." (Holy crap, is that the codeine cough syrup talking? I can't believe I just quoted the Brit-Brit.)

6 comments:

demondoll said...

1)As someone who has given birth, I must admit I CRINGE everytime I hear you say it...
2)Another reason it makes an impact when you say anything risque is that you are usually quite emphatic. Before your hair gets big, let me admit that I also have the tendancy.
3)I sincerely doubt anyone looks at you and thinks li' ole harmless. Engaging? Yes. Sweet? Yep- most of the time. Fun? You betcha. But there's a gleam in the eye... you cannot deny.
4)"Vagina!" in any staff meeting other than hospital is inappropriate. That is why it is funny. And come on, a wee bit vulgar...

Seriously, are you quoting Brit-Brit?!

ElleDee said...

Oh sister, I'm sorry that "vaganus" gives you the willies. But the whole "tearing" thing makes me cross my legs and hunch forward in sympathy pains.
Hey, hey, hey. I am sweet. Just not harmless or innocent :) And yes, I try to be the utmost professional at work (so no, they do not know the "bar" me.) But I don't pretend to be anything other than my lively self so I'm not quite sure where they got the Snow White persona. But it looks like I've tarnished that image;)

demondoll said...

You and the Man are still Golden to me!

Veronica said...

HA!! LD you are so funny!
?

Veronica said...

Please, Please I beg don't use that word! It makes me cross my legs too, and I've been there done that.

Auntie Sassy said...

Okay, I must confess...I used to LOVE it when you would swear.