Monday, October 03, 2005

What's Your Guilty Pleasure?

I am home, doped up on NyQuil. It's noon and I'm watching a show that was once one of my guilty pleasures ... "Starting Over" on NBC. If you haven't seen it, imagine Real World but everyone is 30-50 years old and it's run by life coaches & therapists. And the participants are all women. Ohh yahhh, it's a recipe for fun.

I can't help it and I won't apologize! Sure, there's always someone crying in each scene but that's the beauty of it. Right now one of the participants, Cheryl, is talking about how her family wanted a boy. When she was born, her sisters went around the neighborhood and told them about their new baby brother, "Little Earl." As an adult, when Cheryl acts out and isn't faithful to her husband or treats him badly, the life coach said it's her "Little Earl" coming out. Her life coach wants "Big Cheryl" to overcome "Little Earl." How f%&^ed up is that??? (I won't even go into how wrong it is to call a woman "Big" anything.)

I also confess to watching "Veronica Mars." Hey now! It's better than the O.C. or any other teenybopper show.

Now you know. It's all out in the open and I may have lost cool points with you. But what can I say? You have to love me for ME!

Have some sympathy. I'm sick and coughing my head off :(

5 comments:

Veronica said...

I still love you no worries...besides I love that name...Veronica...hmm just has a great sound to it, huh? *wink*wink*

my guilty pleasure is not a show...it's ice-cream.

sorry your sicky-poo hope you get better soon.

Unknown said...

I heard VM's was a good show. Not sure if I believe it because I think the girl is super annoying and kinda homely.

Now, calling anyone "Big" is wrong, wrong, wrong. How awful!

I can't watch depressing shows anymore. :( No more true crime shows for me! Or "Intervention" on A&E. I'd like to think all people lead happy lives.

ElleDee said...

I swear to you guys, "Starting Over" is strangely uplifting. Maybe it's all that therapy and confessionals (very similar to Real World) but it's good stuff.
As for Veronica Mars, don't knock it until you try it. The star is quite cute and the writing is pretty good. Stop looking at my comment in disbelief, it's true.

demondoll said...

(I am also fighting a cold.) Just received the new version of BattleStar Gallactica on DVD from WGD, so there's my inner geek screaming. Always did love the Martha.
Veronica is my saint name... she's cool.

Auntie Sassy said...

I must also state that blaming the fact that you cheat on your hubby on your siblings calling you a boy is ri-GD-diculous. My brothers used to tell me that Paul Bunyun bathed in a lake close to our house and a teacher in their high school threw dirty tampons at them.
This is why I drink.