Monday, October 17, 2005

Speaking of hula ...

It is one of my most FAVORITE things. I love hula. I think it's moving, graceful, romantic, and simply beautiful. So I am sooooo excited about this weekend!

This Saturday, I'm going to
Na Lei Hulu's "The Hula Show." The reason why this halau is spectacular is because 1) they have extremely talented and gifted dancers and 2) their Kumu's creativity. They perform all facets of hula: kahiko (ancient), auana (modern) and then the company's trademark style, hula mua. They dance hula to contemporary music like their signature piece performed to Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." The Kumu also implements hip-hop, creating a hula to Eminem's music. And there's even a hula to Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors," which is a tribute to the Kumu's gay drag queen Uncle Emile. How can you not love that????

Saturday is going to be gorgeous. My day will start with a light and healthy lunch with Tel. Then we're having one hour massages (oh yes, this is a pampering day, my friends) then we get dolled up and attend the luau before the show (now you know why we had a light lunch.) We will then end the night enjoying a wonderful two hour performance at the Palace of Fine Arts.
My ideal girls' night out.

I bought my ticket to this show over two months ago to raise my spirits. I've been a little bummed because this is the first year in four that I will not be going to Hawaii. I know it's nothing tragic but it has become a very nice tradition. Anyway, The Man and I agreed that we should save $ which means no expensive vacations. I don't know about you but my job causes me to need - like Whitney & Bobby need their fix - a required tropical vacation (mandated by my sanity) and this "no Hawaii" has been rough. I visited my friend in Colorado and had a fantastic time in Washington to see Sister but my WORK FUNK prevailed and I need more.

Two weeks ago, my friend Maria presented an idea. She planned on going to Hawaii with her boyfriend for a wedding. She asked me if I would go to keep her company while her bf played with his friends. I declined. Shoot, if The Man and I weren't going, why would I go for some stranger's wedding? But then she said that she would leave a few days earlier if I went. Dang. I really need to save money. But doesn't saving my sanity take precedence?? I told her I would consider it if we could find a great deal on a hotel and car rental.

(Oahu, 2004)

We did. My flight is booked and I will be going to the Aloha State in a month and a half. From now on, I will bring bag lunches to work and drastically cut back on my Starbucks. (On the bright side, this will help me lose the 10 lbs I've been trying to shake off.) I will NOT buy any new clothes, shoes or purses *oh lawdee* I will cook for The Man as an alternative to us eating out *son of a biscuit* This is all worth it to be able to go to Hawaii.

I'm going to Oahu on a shoestring budget. The hotel is crap and the car is crappier. But who cares?? I'm going to explore the island, sunbathe, and drink*. I am so excited! It's a lovely birthday gift to myself.

*If you want to be intoxicated but not consume a lot of empty calories, I recommend Rum & Diet Cherry Pepsi. The Cherry flavoring overpowers the rum and the calories are only from the alcohol (2 oz=130 calories.) Just call it "the SFHulaGirl" :) It's quite delicious and feels fantastic.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! You deserve a vacation from the stress of your job!

Veronica said...

Oh LD tha sounds like fun...who cares if the hotel is crappy...you won't spend all your time in there anyways. The sfhulagirl sounds yum..I would love to go to Hawaii lucky girl! Have a blast!

ElleDee said...

I've never been to Hawaii in December-it should be fun!
Yes, the sfhulagirl drink has brought me much bliss on very few calories :)If you're not nursing, maybe we can have it when The Man and I visit. We'll be faded in no time!
Although I love visiting, I think Hawaii is a place where I escape my daily grind. It wouldn't be the same if I moved there. But I wouldn't oppose to a month long vacation! One can only dream...

demondoll said...

Hurray for Hawaii trip!!! I'm so happy for you... and have a lovely time Saturday, it sounds just yummy. I LOVE pampered days. as opposed to Pamper daze.

Unknown said...

I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamed I got up in the middle of the night and tried to hula in my mirror, only lit by moonlight. The good thing was I had a flat tummy, and I was hula-ing pretty well. I tried to remember it's all in the thighs.

Jeezus, did that really happen?

ElleDee said...

Girrrrl, only Zoey could tell you the truth. But hula on with yo' bad self!