Friday, June 09, 2006

"I rock rough and stuff with my afro puffs ...

... rock on, wit cha bad self."

OK, so I didn't have an afro. But I did rock the permed hair.

You didn't believe me, did you?

It's that time ... my ten year reunion. Even though I'm not the first in my blog family to talk about this, it's still a tough choice.

Reunion, or not to reunion?

I know I'm echoing the same sentiments of most people when I say that if I would have wanted to keep in touch with my classmates, I would have done it. And I kept in touch with less than a handful. But I'm curious to see how we all ended up.

I came from a school that was in a middle- to low-income area. There were many bright kids but we just didn't have the resources to make us flourish or to help the kids that had potential but just didn't know it. (Do not MAKE me get into the whole California High School Exit Exam. Well crap, it's my blog so I will say this. It is true that it is a bias exam and many low income kids do not have a chance to pass it because, for the most part, they are receiving a mediocre education. Granted, you aren't doing them any favors by letting them skate by. However, if they made it to senior year, then they have a fighting chance. But you cannot give all youth the same exam - many are ESL or just haven't received the best education possible. To expect them to regurgitate every subject they learned from ninth grade is ridiculous. Universities don't even ask that of its students! I would put money on it that the schools in wealthy areas are taking the time to prep their students for this exam while the kids in poorer areas are expected to fend for themselves. OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now.)

I hope my classmates have succeeded. I hope they are happy with their lives and making a positive impact in their communities. I just don't know if I want to see or hear them talking about themselves. Yes, a person can change a lot in ten years. But if I found them annoying back then, is there any chance we will have changed so much that we'll get along like the best of buds? Maybe. But not likely.


I may go if we have a casual event (I hear it's going to be at Dave & Busters) where I can blend in a public place and duck out without anyone noticing. But if it's at hotel and a black tie affair, I'm going to pass.

Like my perm? I bet my hair was crispier than a KFC drumstick.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Rock out with your locks out!

demondoll said...

I worked the crispy hair, too.*sigh*
I say go, then duck if it's dull. Especially to see if anyone stayed cute. I went to WGD's and was shocked at all the middle aged looking folk!

Didn't go to mine, as my year didn't see fit to invite me... what does that say?! And I thought I was moderately liked!

ElleDee said...

You are liked. Our alma mater just SUCKS. The only reason I know about it is b/c I was among the leadership group when I went to HS. They all want to get together. I bet more than half my class has no idea.
I told you I think some of the teachers embezzled money from the class of 96. Yah, I said it! SO now we have no money saved for a GD reunion.

demondoll said...

Oh man, our high school blows chunks.

Auntie Sassy said...

LOOK AT YOU! Oh my god, how sweet...how innocent...how DECEPTIVE!

hehehe Well, maybe it was accurate at the time the picture was taken.

Veronica said...

HOLY SHIT! I mean, you look young now...but sheesh! You look like your 12.

I love the perm, you look Latina..."ain't nothing wrong with that!" (Yes, we too have the eyes, look at yours truly. So don't give me that missy.)

Reunion...egh.

ElleDee said...

Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with curly hair. In fact, I have to add that I grew up in a heavily Mexican populated area. Most of these girls had BEAUTIFUL long curly hair. Of course, my Asian self tried to replicate the look. No such luck. Well, these pictures are pretty damn close. But still. I'm Asian. It's like the Asian chicks that rock the blond hair. It ain't right.

PS: I would have given my right arm to have a quinceanera ;)

Veronica said...

hehe...you can totally pass for one of us. I love Asians with blond hair...haha

I think you looked good, maybe the hair was crispy but hey...it LOOKED good! ;) That's all that matters.

demondoll said...

Hey now, you had your chance at the debutant thingy, and wanted nothing to do with it! :)

ElleDee said...

True that, Sister. I just didn't feel like I knew enough Filipinos yet to merit a Debutante Ball. I didn't get way into my Pilipino side until my second year in college.
Aww, Sassy, you thought I looked sweet? Well, I was pure as the driven snow back then. hee hee
Pooks, you think I could pass for one of your own? Well, we adopted you into our family, maybe you could adopt me? I admit, I eat more than Baby pooks. But I keep my food down ;)

Veronica said...

it's official....


Your my sista!

demondoll said...

I showed WGD this post last night, he laughed and laughed! You are so witty, Sister!

ElleDee said...

I respectfully disagree, MsLips. I don't believe an exit exam will cause US students to suddenly rank higher internationally. I believe the curriculum in those four years should be changed and THAT is the reason for such low ranking.
As someone who BOMBED her SATs, I do not believe that standardized testing dictates the intelligence of an individual.
Oh and I won't perm my hair ever again if you promise you will never get bangs again. Deal? ;)