Sunday, June 04, 2006

My trip summed up in one entry

I promised I would write more about my vacation when I had pictures. Come to find out, there isn't much more! Oh well. I've borrowed some from the internet to aid in illustration.
Why was this my best vacation to the Philippines? Well, there are a few factors. First, I've learned what to expect. For instance, after three visits, I knew that there might be some bucket showers, "different" toilet facilities and potentially lots of 'skeeters. And there's that teeny tiny fact that a few of my relatives may call me fat. Let's steer away for a minute about how that can really ruin a trip.
I have ranted and raved to my mom about how being called fat is mean, hurtful and just plain rude. She knows and has actually defended me when I've been so floored by an insult that I forgot to reply. No, it wasn't all of my relatives, maybe four or five at most (I have a LOT of relatives so that's barely any.) But it only takes one insult to negate the 10 compliments you received prior. And even though my mom defends me, she has tried to persuade me that it's a cultural difference, and that to my relatives in PI, it isn't an insult, just a comment. Like saying, "You have a booger in your nose." Well, sad to say (or not), I'm Americanized. It. Is. Not. The. Same. It was such a relief to not have to deal with that crap from anyone this time around.
Another plus was that, for the most part, our living accommodations were nice. We had a couple of sketchy places but overall the places we stayed in, especially my cousins, were very comfortable. And guess what? Barely any mosquitos. Thanks be! While I don't recommend this resort for overnight trips, it is a great place to go for a day trip:
Dhio Endheka Resort
I also spoke up to my mom prior to this vacation and let her know that I wanted to do fun stuff. In- and outdoors. Maybe it's because I've held steadfast about not visiting for five years but my mom heard me. That's probably why I got to go swimming with whale sharks, hiking, parasailing, island-hopping, sailboating and stay at a resort island.
You may wonder why I would have to tell my mom this. After all, I said I was pushing 30, right? If you're Filipino, you can skip this paragraph. If you're not, here's the answer: I am at the mercy of my mom and dad when I go to the Philippines. They speak the language, they are the closest to our relatives, they know the country. I wouldn't even know how to book a hotel or plane ticket while in the Philippines. Scratch that. I do but I wouldn't know how to do it without getting ripped off. It would also be a lot harder to know what kind of tourist-y activities were available. And worthwhile. Not to mention, when in the Philippines, you are with your family all the live long day. This place is the epitome of the word, "family." I was with them the entire time. That means sleeping in the same room, sharing a bathroom, and basically going everywhere together. My parents were my roommates for a week and a half. (The only reason it wasn't for all two weeks is because I spend four days with The Man.) Remember when I addressed this
very subject? HA! Not a chance. Sure, the hotel rooms are inexpensive. But then I would be the spoiled American cousin! How's that? Well, when I stayed at my cousin's house, she put the three of us in one room. Even though there were seven bedrooms, she put us in one. And it made perfect sense. It was the only other bedroom with air-conditioning. In that sweltering heat, I was more than happy to share with my parents. Maybe it's because I don't live with them anymore but we didn't kill each other! In fact, other than my dad giving me his cold, we all got along just fine. When we stayed at a resort, the three of us stayed in one room again. Why? Because my cousins and their kids, all sixteen of them, shared two rooms with no air-conditioning. How could I dare ask to be in my own room? No, my relatives aren't poor but they couldn't see wasting money on additional rooms when eight to a room was snug but doable?
So, besides doing outdoor stuff, I got to do all the pampering I wanted. It was
Spa Heaven for me! Whether it be right or wrong, the American dollar goes very far in the Philippines. In two weeks, I had one hot stone massage, three regular massages, three spa manicures and pedicures, my hair trimmed, and permed my eyelashes. In addition, I paid for my mom's two massages, her facial and a mani/pedi for Mother's Day. All of these treatments, collectively, cost about $200. Seriously. For instance, when I got my lashes permed at a posh salon, it cost $6. And y'all know how much I love pedicures/manicures. I had them 2x a week!
The best part of my trip was that I got to know my cousins, nieces and nephews a lot better. I adore them! Sure, I talk about the few tactless ones but overall I have really wonderful relatives. Family that are selfless - they made sure that someone picked us at the airport (several times), secured our accommodations, helped us with transportation, negotiated our trips for us, and checked in on us almost daily after work. A lot of them bent over backwards helping us plan our trips and making sure we had a good time. My cousins showed me around, made sure that I got to see the shopping areas, parks, hang outs and dance clubs. Since most of my cousins are in their late 30s/early 40s, I know they were only doing the latter because they thought I would enjoy it :)
Five years is a long time to not visit. Many of my nieces and nephews have grown up so fast. I saw my relatives and I realized how important it was for me to stay connected to my dad's family. While many of them are doing well for themselves, almost all of them aren't able to come to the U.S. If I don't make the effort to stay connected, it won't happen. I respect that some people don't want to go to the Philippines. It can be rough and one hellish experience just like any other vacation. But I've been blessed to have a wonderful time. There's talk about a reunion next year. If so, I'll be there. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Me with my nieces (and one baby nephew held by my cousin.)

4 comments:

demondoll said...

See here you, I love dance club!;)
It does indeed look wonderful, and you have inspired me to broach subject of PI w/ WGD! I would love to see the Cousins, Aunts and Uncles (even the notorious one). If y'all go in 2008, I think we'd be up for it! No promises, though, as we are poor as the proverbial church mice.

ElleDee said...

haha ... Sister, you are too funny!
I'm bummed I don't have more pictures, though. Damn my laziness!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes forget how GORGEOUS you are.

ElleDee said...

I just read your comment, XT! You are too, too kind. ESPECIALLY if you're referring to this entry's pic. I was very "natural" there :D