Sunday, August 06, 2006

How I met the Man

Back in 2001, my old roommate had been dating a boy named Arniel. I ended up getting him a job and we started to hang out after work. He would bring along his roommate/best friend, Lorena. We all partied hard together and had lots of fun.
They both belonged to a service organization and Arniel asked if I would narrate a documentary he made for them. Lorena's parents were having a party to celebrate the money and in-kind donations the organization raised to bring to the Philippines. I was invited because of my participation in the documentary. I had attended another party that same day (it was at Tel and Sassy's!) and I found it hard to tear myself away ... there was wine and cheese, for crap's sake! But I felt like I should go to the other one so I did. I brought my friend, Regina, with the intention of only staying an hour and making my way back to Treasure Island.
I drove us across town to Lake Merced. The party at Lorena's ended up to be an intimate gathering. Dammit, no way to slip out without notice! There were about six people there, sitting around the table. Regina sat down at the table, looking at me, silently begging me to bring her back to the other party. I stood next to Arniel and Lorena's as they introduced me to everyone. I met Lorena's mom and dad, a family friend named Gus and Lorena's other best friend, The Man.
Regina and I snacked a little, watched the documentary, and asked about trip preparations to the Philippines. True to my word, after an hour, I told them we had another party to attend (I left out that it was the same party we just came from) so Regina and I had to leave. We wished them a safe trip and they all said good bye. I was excited to get back to the drinking festivities back on Treasure Island.
As we headed back, Regina asked, "What did you think of the guy next to me?"
"The Man?" I replied. "What about him?"
"Don't you think he's cute? I think he's very cute!" Regina exclaimed. "You should find out about him! You know I'm not particularly attracted to Asian guys but he's cute!"
"I guess so. But I think he's gay." (Yes, I actually said and believe it.)
"What?!" Regina blurted. "I don't think so! Why would you think that?"
"I don't know! He's so handsome he's almost ... pretty. He looks very put-together. No straight guy could care that much about his appearance. Besides, what straight guy wears a snug sweater?" (It's true.)
Regina replied, "I think you're wrong!"
"Fine, I'll call Arniel. He'll tell me." I said.
I dialed his cell. "Hey! Are you still at the party? Good. Are you near The Man? Well, walk away from him then. Hey, is he gay?"
Pause.
"He's not? Are you sure?"
Pause.
"Oh. No, no. I just assumed is all. Thanks!"
"Well, what's the verdict?" Regina asked.
"Mmm, you were right. He's straight. But you have to admit, he was very pretty!"
"Whatever, you should go for him. He's cute." she insisted.

"Mmm-hmm."
It would be three more months before I would run into The Man again.

I received permission from The Man to write this entry. And before anyone thinks I was off my rocker, more (gay and straight) men than women commented about my new boyfriend's good looks. I suspect he may be the pretty one in this relationship!

10 comments:

demondoll said...

shake your bom-bom- shake it shake it

demondoll said...

He's a great guy, but make no mistake. You are the pretty one!

demondoll said...

BTW, see how it looks like he is embracing a shrub? That is Lulu in all her lei-strewn glory!

Couch potato said...

Ddoll I was just thinking that, I thought I wonder why he is leaning on a bush, yeh must be drunk.

I think Lulu is the pretty one too and lulu you should stop saying he is pretty he is cocky enough. Hehe

ElleDee said...

Lips: Like I wrote at the bottom, I made sure I got the green light from The Man before I put anything up, ESPECIALLY pictures!! But he looks cute, yah?
Sister: You so crazy! I laughed when I read that (just so y'all know, Jon has these pants that are a tiny bit shiny and cup and lift The Man's buttocks ever so lovingly;) I told Sister about them and now she calls Jon "Ricky Martin" w/o actually SAYING "Ricky Martin." She just refers to this particular article of clothing "his shake a bom-bom pants."
And thank you for the compliment! And yes, I am the shrub to his right ;)
Tater: Jon chuckled when I read him your comment. And thank you, too, for the kind words!

Veronica said...

No, no..He is hansome, and you ARE BEAUTIFUL!


This is why you look so good together! YEAH for good-looking couples.

Veronica said...

haha..just read the comments above.

I am SO telling the hubby about his "shake the bom-bom pants" hahaha. I'm sure he knows, but I will kindly *giggle* remind him. ;) Ha!

Yes LULU, your man is WAY too cocky as it is.... So, please for the sake of us Milan sisters STOP telling him that!

Love ya guys!

Kim said...

Why do I remember your BF's name being something else? Sigh...I'm so out of the loop these days. ;0)

ElleDee said...

Pooks, you too are very sweet with your words! Thank you :)
Hubby does not know about the "shake a bom bom pants" so I'm sure he will be OVERJOYED to hear about it. I just told The Man what YOU wrote and he chuckled. Then he batted his eyes and said, "Why? I'm shy!"
Kim, you are not wrong. That's his nickname ;) Your memory is still in good as new! Unless you were worried that I didn't keep you updated. And again, don't worry, you are good!

Unknown said...

We really did have the best food at our parties. Really.

I'm glad you met JJ. Even though I was ready to whoop him when I first met him.